• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Neighbors pool pump adds 3 s units of noise

Make sure that the pump motor is bonded. There should be a #8 solid copper wire attached to the outside of the motor and also attached to any heater and control system or timer. I spent 15 years as a pool service tech and have seen people skip this during pump replacements many many times.

They let me go in there back yard and look at it. There is a ground rod driven into the earth/ ground. With solid copper wire connected to it. But I never really traced the wire from the ground rod back to see if it’s actually connected to the motor. I briefly looked at everything I should have took a picture. They did say the motor was replaced about two years ago. At the time I was still kinda getting to know them and gauge there reaction. I didn’t want to freak them out by taking pictures lol. A picture is worth a thousand words I will go back and take a couple of detailed pictures.

All of the wiring is ran through metal conduit, the pump motor does appear to be grounded
There is an 8 foot ground rod about a foot or two away from it,

Did you ever get a chance to ask your pump guy.
He said he has never came across that before but was going to ask co workers

Is there a seperate, visualy seen, ground from pump to rod?

All of the wiring is ran through metal conduit, the pump motor does appear to be grounded
There is an 8 foot ground rod about a foot or two away from it,

This should be quite accurate....

There should be a #8 solid copper wire attached to the outside of the motor and also attached to any heater and control system or timer. I spent 15 years as a pool service tech and have seen people skip this during pump replacements many many times.

Reactions: Cam Tetzlaff
Is there a seperate, visualy seen, ground from pump to rod.

I know this sounds dumb but yes it looked like it was hooked to the motor. But I never actually laid eyes on the exact spot it was hooked on to the motor, if that makes sense.
This is coming from my memory when I looked at it on Saturday.

I’ve done some more reading since last week . And it doesn’t really seem uncommon for variable speed motors to cause people rfi/emi issues. The controls for the motor/pump are inside a metal box mounted on the side of the house. I’ve read everything from people replacing the motor with a different motor, to using shielded wiring, to winding the wires through a ferrite torode thing, to using 5-20 snap on ferrite beads. To installing an ac line filter. It’s a clean looking install, I can’t even see the wiring. Which makes me think that it won’t really be all that easy to just put some ferrite beads on them.To be honest I don’t even know where to begin. I don’t even know if this is something a residential electrician will mess with lol. I don’t even know if it runs off of 220 or 120 ac or if it’s single phase or what. I’m definitely going to have to get someone that knows more than me to look at it. It pretty much wipes out 12-17 meters with s7+ worth of noise.

Is there a seperate, visualy seen, ground from pump to rod?

Simple answer is yes there is a visually seen ground rod. Driven into the ground with a bonding clamp on the ground rod, with a bare solid copper wire going from the ground rod, back to the motor, I didn’t physically see the exact spot the ground wire is connected to the motor, but just for the sake of argument let’s say that it is properly grounded, what should be the next step here?

Call power company, report RFI interference. Let them find it. Just report bad interference, don't point them in direction. You can let them see where you are experiencing the noise at, your radio.

They will send out a snoop team with meter. They can track it down.

50F90D79-39C1-4896-A4AC-CE0A4C726C86.png Thanks I’ll look into that.

This is what a guy on eham used to cure his pool pump rfi issues. I know there are at least two others on here looking for a solution alsoo

Idk if this thing fits inside the conduit or where exactly you need to mount it or even if it will work for each

I’m having trouble with the link

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
That looks almost like a square AC capacitor. I'm no tech, but but got me to think about capacitor. Some are built really cheap and not shield well.

Think about the fact a pool pump is usually placed far away. Could there be a cheap capacitor on that pump?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.