• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 5' Skipshooter has near perfect SWR

MadNachos

Oct 9, 2022
Sherwood Oregon
Not a complaint but more of a "this seems unusual" thing.

I just received a 5' Skipshooter to use on our old Tacoma when clearance isn't an issue. I normally run a 4' Firestik. Out of the box with the nail all the way down I get a nearly perfect SWR across all chans. I tested the SWR with three different meters and the difference was almost nothing. Seems correct though. I haven't run the linear through it (just a small RM being fed 1.5W) but so far the reception seems excellent.

Are these typically this easy to tune?

PXL_20221014_210933223.jpg

Not a complaint but more of a "this seems unusual" thing.

I just received a 5' Skipshooter to use on our old Tacoma when clearance isn't an issue. I normally run a 4' Firestik. Out of the box with the nail all the way down I get a nearly perfect SWR across all chans. I tested the SWR with three different meters and the difference was almost nothing. Seems correct though. I haven't run the linear through it (just a small RM being fed 1.5W) but so far the reception seems excellent.

Are these typically this easy to tune?

View attachment 60866
Wow! Good for you!
Considering approximately 1/3 of the antenna is blocked by the truck cap and the SWR is "nearly" perfect on all channels, I'd say it is a miracle. Just for giggles (and curiosity), have you checked the SWR without the spring?

Reactions: Rwb
The cap is fabric so perhaps not a huge block? But it is thick waterproof stuff so I am sure it isn't isn't ideal. I get the higher (but still great) SWR readings with my other antennas that jive with what I measured when I tuned them so I am guessing that this antenna is just an abnormally great match to my setup. About an hour ago the reception was arguably too good!

But...I will check it without the spring and in a more suitable location. The spring is a Firestik HD and I guess it's OK but it seems like it should have a better method of tightening other than hand or channel locks. It is my first spring so I am not sure how it compares to others.

Tried a simpler experiment. I pulled the nail all the way up and my SWR went up to 1.4 on 40 and was lower on 1 so I guess I got lucky with this antenna. It is a bit long for a 'daily' but since the main reason for CB in that truck is emergencies and farting around it seems perfect.

Thanks for the tip on the spring. I will have one tomorrow. But I must say that the idea of driving to Portland and whipping random idiots with a swinging fiberglass pole has a lot of appeal.
The spring has a hex nut welded on each end to grasp to tighten the antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.