• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base New A99 is shorter than my older A99 by 13" overall.

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
So, I'll be checking it out for resonance at 27.205 MHz before I install it at 42' feet. Solarcon shortened the base element 12.25" inches, middle section is the same as the old A99, the tip is 1" shorter than the old A99.

In the new manual they still talk about the antenna being pre-tuned at the factory for the middle of the CB band...so that might suggest that the Broadband width is how they do this with a shorter radiator...or possibly they also changed the matching device too which is likely.

Base on the thread about the Imax changing lengths, I'm sure over time that Solarcon has probably made the A99 at different lengths and probably for the same reasons. It probably had to do with shipping charges.

I'll test my new A99 soon and report the results.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Off subject somewhat but relevant is the I-Max antenna and that Solarcon shortened that length.

Several semi-local guys in the last month have bought new Max-2000 antennas (old I-max ?) and they are all back at 24' length...or so they say.

Reactions: 357magnum
I did not touch the rings like just it still suggest for CB in the new and old manuals. The manual also says the CB band should produce SWR below 1.50 SWR for the entire 11 meter band and more.

The antenna is flat all around 28.500 MHz.

Reactions: 357magnum
The antenna is flat all around 28.500 MHz.

That would be about right for their home market, the EU where we operate on two bands, the first being the same as the USA, the second being the UK PR27 which goes up to 27.99125Mhz.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.