• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Alinco DJ-G29T 220/900 Mhz HT Announced at Dayton 2011

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
One of the more under reported stories from Dayton Hamvention 2011 is that Alinco gave us a sneak preview of their new DJ-G29T 220/900 Mhz HT. In addition to showing a prototype radio, Alinco was asking attendees to fill out a survey, apparently attempting to find out how much demand there would be for an HT like this. Currently there are conflicting reports on power output on each band, which vary from 1 watt on each band to 5 watts on 220 Mhz and 2 watts on 900 Mhz. My personal opinion is that the 5/2 watt report sounds reasonable based on the configuration of other radios by the company. Here are a few fuzzy pics courtesy of KB2BSL from the KC2RA Amateur radio club:

moleculo-albums-alinco-dj-g29t-picture2630-dj-g29-fuzzy.jpg

moleculo-albums-alinco-dj-g29t-picture2629-dj-g29-sign.jpg

The KC2RA Amateur radio club can be found at Welcome to the KC2RA website.

I would agree the 2/5 watt output would be the target, anyone know if they are using (going to) a BNC connector on the antenna connection?

Jeff

To me, the antenna looks like the same configuration as the DJ-G7 which was an SMA connector. Does anyone make a radio with a BNC connector anymore?

I don't know about other areas, but there are quite a few 220 and 900 Mhz repeaters in this area. I've never played with 900Mhz, but I'd like to find out the simplex range.

Well, I guess I will be the bad guy here.

In my opinion, a waste of money, soon to be discontinued as fast as it was released.

Seriously, who uses those bands anymore, and IF there was a repeater in either of these bands in your area, you would have to be pretty close to use the repeater with a low power HT like this. 220 MAYBE, 900? not so much.

Sorry, next???????

I would agree with you Bill. There are 5 900mhz repeaters in the whole state and nothing real close on 220 but definitely a lot more active than 900. I guess they would be of interest to the operators near those repeaters which seem to be in heavily populated areas like Philly or Pittsburg.

In Cali, we have a bunch of 220 repeaters. We have the whole Condor system, which links up almost the whole state. Personally I like the characteristics of 220Mhz a lot and would like to see more people start to use it. I don't know much about 900Mhz, though. We have a few repeaters on that band. One thing that would be neat with a radio at that frequency level is that you could make an antenna with a boat load of gain and it still wouldn't be very long.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.