• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Alpha 9500 pics

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
As you may know, RF Concepts recently released the new Alpha 9500. It uses a single 3CX1500A7 / 8877 tube to achieve 100% duty cycle legal limit[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]. It also features an RS232 and USB port for remote control. Priced at $7950, it's RFConcepts' flagship product. Here are a few close up pics of the inside of the new amp.

Front:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2120-alpha-9500.jpg

Rear:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2121-alpha-9500-rear.jpg

Power Supply side:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2122-alpha-9500-power-supply.jpg

RF Tank and tube side:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2123-alpha-9500-tank-tube-side.jpg

Stepper motor controllers and board:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2124-alpha-9500-stepper-motor-controllers.jpg

High Voltage Supply:

moleculo-albums-alpha-9500-amp-picture2125-alpha-9500-high-voltage-supply.jpg

I have a few pics of some of the other boards. If there is any interest, I"ll post those, as well.

It looks nice!

Hmmmmmm........ no knobs? I don't care for it. I like knobs on tuned amplifiers. Push buttons are for antenna switches. :thumbdown:

Apparently it's their idiot proofing method, not calling you one but some newby hams are and they get to play with big toys by right of licensing and not by IQ.

It's also justification for the price tag. I don't know, I just prefer manual tuners, except mobile, and manually tuned amps. Less to go wrong. It would suck big time to have a stepper motor drive chip fail during a big contest and have all the guy's running cheap little Ameritron AL-811's walking all over you and your busted Alpha. :D

It's also justification for the price tag. I don't know, I just prefer manual tuners, except mobile, and manually tuned amps. Less to go wrong. It would suck big time to have a stepper motor drive chip fail during a big contest and have all the guy's running cheap little Ameritron AL-811's walking all over you and your busted Alpha. :D

Like showing up to a gun fight with a knife.;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.