• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Antenna Fender Mount Question

Gashog

May 16, 2016
I decided that my 29GTL deserved a real antenna so I took the leap.
As my new Sirio Twin-Log 5 was in transit, I had a conundrum on where to put it.
Originally, I was planning to stick it on the roof....Big ground plane and all.

My '95 Tahoe is 6' to the rack and even my Li'l Wil hits things.
I'm in Upstate NY and regularly duck under 9'6" bridges, low phone lines and tree branches etc.

Adding another two feet to my roof antenna is just asking for it, so I'm pretty much set on a fender mount.

Question is, if I mount the antenna in the customary spot (drivers side hood/fender gap) how far in front of the "A" pillar would be the best compromise?
Am I right in thinking that further forward is better?

Also, I just wanted to thank LooseCannon for the job he did on my radio.
He went above and beyond what we agreed on and must have spent the better part of a week working on my old 29.
It's now the best CB I've ever had and I feel that he did way more for me then he needed to.
So, thank you again Matt! (y)

A post scriptum on the Sirio; I don't know if they goofed something up but I just couldn't resist.
I was shopping for a 4000 PL or something (on sale) but.......
I bought the Sirio 3000 Watt 5FT CB Antenna Kit, Twin-Log5, 18FT RG8x Coax, Bracket & Stud deal for $30 +$10 shipping.
Not on sale.... regular price.
The antenna alone lists for $38! o_O
Just sayin!

Apart from the fact you would've been better with an antenna with a long whip......

The further forward you get the more directional it is but its going to be that anyway to a point. There's not much vertical metal near the antenna other than the A post so you should be good a foot away from the windscreen. If you find that no matter how much you shorten the antenna the SWR is high but its lower on CH1 than CH40 try moving it further forward.

Reactions: Marconi
I figured that.
Ya I was thinking about a whip on the bumper but ive never tried it and i was told that the back doors on my chevy would reflect too much signal back.
any higher then i am now and i wouldnt be able to drive the Taconic.
ive had good luck with mirror mounted firesticks and 10 miles is more then i expect. if it gets that far ill be very happy.

My 95 Tahoe with the roof Mount Wilson 5000 is only 7 foot 4 inches tall minus the whip which is totally flexible and I would never hesitate to drive under a 9-foot bridge and allow my whip to flex which it was designed to do.
DSCN4672_zps0526ee99.jpg

DSCN4677_zpsd249de6a.jpg

DSCN4679_zpsff3bda53.jpg

DSCN2197_zpsbtvqodm5.jpg

20160729_092751_zpswre9tauf.jpg

It's kind of hard to beat the roof mount

So you're at 12' then.
I'm back to putting it on the roof as of last weekend when I was looking at fender brackets and how they work.
The antenna detached easy enough and I still have my li'll Wil (which I whack before I lea e my driveway and at least twice on the way to work). :rolleyes:
The 3way mount I got with the Sirio kit is attached to the roof rack side rail still.
I did that the day I opened the box just to get an idea of how UP it would be.
Ill just go ahead and stick the antenna right in the middle of the roof and stow it when I don't .need it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.