• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new antenna for hf needed

buckwhite

May 1, 2005
what would be some options for a new hf antenna for my yaesu ft-890? it has the built in antenna tuner. what i'm looking for is something that will cover 160-10 with the tuner i have. i am looking to go with a vertical antenna for now, but will likely put up a beam in the next year or so... thanks, L8ter

i suppose you are referin to a base antenna

if so.. www.steppir.com the BigIR will cover 40 meters to 6 meters
without a tuner
you would only need a tuner for below 40 meters to 160 meters

Lot of "if's" in there! If you've got the room and some tall trees, try an inverted "L" as long as you can make it. You need a very good ground too.
Or the longest dipole possible, feed it with ladder line through a balun or a huge coil of coax.
Would either be a 'good' all band antenna? Eeeeh, sort of, not really, but better than you might think.
Why any of these rather than the 'Steppir'? --> $$$
- 'Doc

i dont want to run a lot of wire across the front yard. i do have the room but the aesthetics would not be pleasant. i much rather like the look of a tower with a vertical on top. its not the best, but sometimes we have to compromise. you might say a wire is less noticeable than a big ol honking tower but wires running across the yard and in the trees looks tacky. with that said, i am still open for options on a vertical. the steppirs are nice if money werent an object... a little pricey for me...

Hello Doc:

I looked that Steppir Vertical Antenna up, I don't think thats a bad deal at 633 dollars, allowing 40 meters thru 6 meters operation. The good thing is that the vertical length is adjustable allowing the operator to have a 1.3 to 1 SWR if one has a good set of ground plane radials.

If one builds a tall vertical with a remote tuner the price tag maybe real close. Had a recent article in QST Magazine showing a remote tuner.

I might get one and install it as a eleveated ground plane on my Barn......?!?!?!?

But with many operators wanting to hear all the HF Ham bands and tune in, the intrest in broad band HF Antennas has increased big time. With the FCC dropping the Morse Code testing requirement for a Ham Lisence. I am getting quit a few e-mails from operators wanting a broad band HF antenna. The cost increase of including 160 and 80 meters is a reality.

Gee Whiz a diploe antenna that offers the low bands such as 160, 80 and 40 meters can sell for well over 200 dollars, with a Balun. And thats not too bad considering a 500 foot roll of 14 gauge wire will cost over 100 dollars, plus the cost of the Balun.

I am sure many will be putting up Inverted "L", Diploles, Verticals, and others to get a start in ham radio. Heah how about a good article / wed site on the inverted V antenna?

I figure there will be a increase in articles in the ham magazines showing all the low cost antennas, and home brew antennas.

I was hearing on 38LSB that a few guys are looking at the shut feed towers for the lower bands. That worlks well, but will need some tuning and adjustment.

Intersting to see what happens.

Jay in the Mojave

W5LZ said:
Lot of "if's" in there! If you've got the room and some tall trees, try an inverted "L" as long as you can make it. You need a very good ground too.
Or the longest dipole possible, feed it with ladder line through a balun or a huge coil of coax.
Would either be a 'good' all band antenna? Eeeeh, sort of, not really, but better than you might think.
Why any of these rather than the 'Steppir'? --> $$$
- 'Doc

Jay,
I have this 'thing' about being cheap. If I've got a choice between $600 for an antenna and something like $20 for a spool of wire, guess which I'll take - lol.
Like it or not, all "all-band" antennas are a compromise. Just ain't no such thing unless you throw LOTS of money at it. "LOTS of money" is relative, just depends on how cheap you are, right?
Most HF antennas, especially for the lower HF bands, mean there are a number of things that are required besides just the thing sticking up in the air. All antennas 'work' against something. Might be the dirt under it (dipoles, verts, etc.), a raised ground (groundplane), and all the other stuff around the antenna (antennas in the 'clear' are more-better than antennas near things). Then there's the 'aesthetics' of the thing, what it looks like. Whole 'nuther world in that one!
It also depends on how much work you are willing to do to save all that $$.
There ARE some general 'facts' about antennas.
1. Bigger is better.
2. If it ain't ugly, it ain't no good.
3. Higher is better.
4. Almost anything can be an antenna (which doesn't say anything about how 'good' anantenna it is).
[Put the guts of that oil filled dummy load in a plastic container, on top of a tower, you WILL be suprised!]
5. And who knows how many more...

Shunt feeding a tower, over a very good ground, makes for a very good antenna. The usual 'catch' to that is the ground system (needs to be as much metal in the ground as there is in the air). Basiclly the same thing for inverted 'L's. And depending on how much you are willing to load the thing (loading coil), quite a bit shorter than a 1/4 wave on 160 meters! (Hi-Gain "Hi-Tower" was THE best! Also the most expensive and work intensive.)
Extremely short (another 'relative' thingy) antennas are extremely poor performers. Sorry, just a fact. Depending on your situation, might be the 'best' of several poor choices though.
Everybody has to make compromises. Picking the best compromise is how you get a 'best' antenna. 'T'ain't the same for everybody...
Oh well. Hope the reigndeer 'crapped' on your roof, and have a good new year!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.