• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Hey guys what is a Big Buck American .64 antenna referred to here?

Hey BM, didn't 007 give us a report finally confirming that his original damaged GM was OK, and that it worked better than both his Imax and P500?

Since you ask the question about why someone has not tested the GM with another 5/8 wave, I wonder if I misread 007's words. I seem to recall however, that he reported his results in db, and his results were just a few db difference. His report popped up in the middle of my own testing, so I may be wrong. I have to read it again.

Last edited:
i may have missed it marconi . this thread has taken a life of its own and i haven't read every single post in this thread . if he did that with them on the same mast/feedpoint/location as the predator and it beat the 500 that is indeed quite a feather in the GMs' hat !!!

im thinking the big buck american antenna is referring to the i10k and mr. coily antennas .

i may have missed it marconi . this thread has taken a life of its own and i haven't read every single post in this thread . if he did that with them on the same mast/feedpoint/location as the predator and it beat the 500 that is indeed quite a feather in the GMs' hat !!!

im thinking the big buck american antenna is referring to the i10k and mr. coily antennas .

That's what I figured too, but I couldn't figure out the .64 part. You are right about the difficulty of keep up on these threads. They are very busy, and I am in the middle of trying to compare antennas again.

Whatever happened to your project? I saw some pictures, but no reports.

I'm glads somebody mentioned this.......that's WHY I showed the losses because lets be honest.....many cynics wants this antenna not to work.....I along with Scott on here spotted a winner prior to anyone even trying the SGM. When are the Big Buck American so called .64 going to prove it wrong ??....I really want to see these tests . ....then maybe people will really believe this is a worthy contender.......like I know it is . It could maybe be time for some antenna designers and builders to sharpen their pencils?:LOL:

Hey Dave, thanks for the recognition. (y)

- Just to make certain that I'm not somehow creating the winning combination for the SGM to beat my Hy-Gain Penetrator500, I'm going to disassemble the P500 and clean every junction of any aluminium oxide build-up, clean the matching network (oh boy does that now sound so archaic!) and clean or replace even the coax connector.

When I reassemble it I'll be using the MFJ-259B to set it for Ø reactance @ 52ohms, 1:1 SWR and I'll try to capture some good tests on video, if I can get my act together regarding uploading videogates.
icon11.gif

So far I'd have to say the SGM shows a solid 2dB gain on both receive & transmit over the P500, both mounted with the same mast height, location and coax, and as much as 5dB! receive gain on a station at 10 miles. :eek: - and that's using mine, the one with the crushed coax!!

me thinks 007 didnt like his 500 comming in second banana . lol
2 and 5 db is nothing to sneeze at though !
007 are you gonna use noalox or some other anti-oxident when re-assembling your 500 ?

marconi , between my knee and the cooler/cold weather i just haven't messed with it .
got my knee x-rayed last month and the doc said theres no cartilage on my left knee and it needs to be replaced .
im not chair bound , but i try not to push it . i do think when we finally get some 60 degree or higher temps here ill just have to bite the bullet and at least get the heavy lifting part done .

Last edited by a moderator:
me thinks 007 didnt like his 500 comming in second banana . lol
Actually I'm really quite...
beatit.gif

Because it means I've improved my station performance!! - And without RADIALS!!!!!!!!

- I'm just not inclined to throw in the towel on the P500 quite that easily... I have to at least give it a good fighting chance.

007 are you gonna use noalox or some other anti-oxidant when re-assembling your 500?

Maybe Maalox after it beats the P500 for a 2nd time! (y)

Yep, I use exactly that: Noalox.

"It could maybe be time for some antenna designers and builders to sharpen their pencils?"

lmao,
oggy do you really think guys that after 6 years of discussion on here still don't understand what is and is not a simple j-pole can figure out how to build a gainmaster,

if they can't be bothered to read whole threads and look at whats been said by whom with proof of concept before posting j-pole nonesense, can't figure out when and where currents flow and why,
they will never understand how to build antennas like the gainmaster, sharpening a pencil won't help :LOL:

i was surprised that both lowes and home depot has noalox . i got a tube last year when i got my tubing from DXengineering . it does take a bit of effort to clean it off though i give it a good wiping with rubbing alcohol and then use fine sand paper to get the aluminum nice and shinny again ;)

"It could maybe be time for some antenna designers and builders to sharpen their pencils?"
im still just using a crayon :)

BM, notice that 007's report indicates "db's" not "Sunits" and the 2db is almost insignificant on the air and barely detectable on your meter. Maybe that is the way a typical 5/8 or .64 wave will ultimately compare to the GM...all being about the same. Then we will have to see if the reception quality I, Bob, and others have noticed is evident comparied to these other antennas. For me, this alone would be the antenna to have if true and you didn't use too much power.

My Top One was 11' feet below the top of the GM and averaged .80 Sunits less signal over 9 stations at different mileages, some at a distance.

Bob reported using a New Top One that was 17.5' feet below the top of the GM and reported an even greater difference at 1.5 Sunits less signal for the Top One to several closer in stations.

i was surprised that both lowes and home depot has noalox . i got a tube last year when i got my tubing from DXengineering . it does take a bit of effort to clean it off though i give it a good wiping with rubbing alcohol and then use fine sand paper to get the aluminum nice and shinny again ;)

Pentrox works better in that regard. It does get a bit of grim in it over time and turns a little dark, but it is very easy to remove and the tubing moves as slick as glass. The secret is...you don't need much and it's still there when you take the tubing apart. My last beam is over thirty years old and was up for over 5 years the last time, before the hurricane hit Houston.

I also use "Stuff" in the outside coax connections and it works and last forever too.

BM, notice that 007's report indicates "db's" not "Sunits" and the 2db is almost insignificant on the air and barely detectable on your meter...

I'll have to disagree with that, check out this link;

"...My dozen or so receivers (Drake R4C's, IC-751A's, Yaesu FT1000D, Collins 75S and KWM-2, etc) all range from about 1 or less dB per S unit at S1, to maybe 3 or 5dB per S unit near S-9."

lmao,
oggy do you really think guys that after 6 years of discussion on here still don't understand what is and is not a simple j-pole can figure out how to build a gainmaster,

if they can't be bothered to read whole threads and look at whats been said by whom with proof of concept before posting j-pole nonesense, can't figure out when and where currents flow and why,
they will never understand how to build antennas like the gainmaster, sharpening a pencil won't help :LOL:

Hey Bob, I sure got a different take on Dave's comment. :unsure:

I thought he was referring to other companies designers now having to come out with something radical to best the SGM.

Reactions: Marconi
I'm glads somebody mentioned this.......that's WHY I showed the losses because lets be honest.....many cynics wants this antenna not to work....

I think a great deal of those cynics really do want it to work as well as claimed,the cynism is more likely due to them wanting to ensure it does before spending money.there is always doubt when a new/but good product comes around.

CB'ers have been bombarded with lies and bullshit for decades,when something appears that defies that bullshit sales logic then naturally their will be doubters Dave.

Ebay and retail rip off merchants have done nothing to increase buyers confidence either, it all adds to make them wary of investing money till they are certain its a good investment.

Reactions: Marconi
George, what I liked was the idea of moving the bottom 1/8 wave into the center. I knew when I read that description that it would have to work well.

BUT, (and supporting what you just mentioned) the first time I read the SGM webpage I closed it prematurely as soon as I saw the words, "The new design of radiant element (Patent Pending) behaves as a centre-fed dipole, hence all..." - thinking it's just another ½ wave Super Big Stick.
I have to admit, I was skimming quickly because I was already certain that without ¼ wave radials it must suck compared to the Penetrator.:thumbdown:

For some reason, about a week later, I went back and re-read the webpage, and as soon as I realized that it was a full 5/8 dipole, it hit me what they had done!(y)

...and I just had to have one!

- I still wonder about their 18 turns of coax instead of the more conventional 5-6 for an efficient 27MHz choke.
scratch.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.