• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna install on a 2010 Ranger

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
Yes a Francis whip........only until my Predator 10K arrives.

Picture007.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Last edited:

The only thing I can see wrong is there is too much exposed center conductor just below the antenna mount which adds length to the antenna, any unshielded center conductor equals a radiated piece of metal.

I never have more that 1/2 inch exposed.

physcoantenna1.jpg

That can be easily fixed. I was going to shorten the center conductor because it required a tighter bend than I liked.....didn't know about it increasing the electrical length. A good friend made it for me because my soldering is about as poor can be. The antenna matched in on an analyzer at 1.15 on 1 and 40 and 1.1 on 20.
Had a nice 2006 Ranger that was taken out by a drunken illegal immigrant with no license or insurance.....at least after he gets out of the hospital, he'll be deported.
Thanks for the advice and the John madden diagram! I sure did have a cow about drilling holes in a brand new tool box.

That can be easily fixed. I was going to shorten the center conductor because it required a tighter bend than I liked.....didn't know about it increasing the electrical length. A good friend made it for me because my soldering is about as poor can be. The antenna matched in on an analyzer at 1.15 on 1 and 40 and 1.1 on 20.
Had a nice 2006 Ranger that was taken out by a drunken illegal immigrant with no license or insurance.....at least after he gets out of the hospital, he'll be deported.
Thanks for the advice and the John madden diagram! I sure did have a cow about drilling holes in a brand new tool box.
No problem that's what we're here for.
john_madden1.jpg

what size shaft 10k are you waiting on?

and if you are so up about drilling holes in the tool box in the top of lid when you want to open it and close you will have to be very careful
you slam the lid down or open it up and bend the coil
i would have mounted that bracket right where the UWS label is
this way your mount is stationary
and you wont be looking at 3 to 4 layers of metal to get to frame ground

Last edited:
I ordered a 10K with a 27" shaft. I got an extra 17" and 22" shaft too in case that don't match in perfect.
I couldn't just bolt it up where the UWS label is because on that brand name box there is a strip of diamond plate on the other side welded on for strengthening purposes and to protect the latching mechanism.
I have a strap bolted to the lid that keeps it from opening too far. If I was using this truck for work purposes I would have never mounted the bracket to the top, that would have been a PIA.

If it works, it works.
I tried mounting a large antenna on a tool box and had my mine 'changed' about it. Seems I didn't do enough thinking ahead when mounting the box, and the antenna. Didn't break anything, but also had lots of problems when opening that tool box. Moved the mount to the back face of the box, no problems. (Is the side towards the tailgate the front or the back side? That one anyway.)
Only advice is that if you ever move that mount, seal those holes in the lid! No, 'ducktape' won't do it. Really amazing how much rust developes inside a 'holy' tool box!
- 'Doc

My neighbor had a black one like that until someone tied fishing line between his antenna and his flag pole! I'm thinking he had an issue with TVI and his neighbor,lol!
n9zas

If it works, it works.
I tried mounting a large antenna on a tool box and had my mine 'changed' about it. Seems I didn't do enough thinking ahead when mounting the box, and the antenna. Didn't break anything, but also had lots of problems when opening that tool box. Moved the mount to the back face of the box, no problems. (Is the side towards the tailgate the front or the back side? That one anyway.)
Only advice is that if you ever move that mount, seal those holes in the lid! No, 'ducktape' won't do it. Really amazing how much rust developes inside a 'holy' tool box!
- 'Doc

Duck tape is the best stuff out there.....next to a ground plane kit for a Wilson 1000!
These antenna installs can drive you to drink sometimes!

otis.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.