1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

New antenna Install

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Grogan, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Last winter my I Max 2000 Gave a SWR of ( to much : one ) LOL
    so I bought a Siro New Tornado before I went outside to look. When the weather cleared I dropped the I max and the top section and the second section lost conductivity. I made a quick wd-40 repair and today I decided to try the new antenna and RG-213 coax I bought for spring cleaning.
    HF (3-30 MHz) Base Antenna, NEW TORNADO
    Let you know what I think after I sit and chat. It's 27 ft. to the base of the siro. Pic makes it look closer to the dual bander and my Free TV antenna. It is higher than both.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.

2. Grogan

Zero four Ontario Canada and bare-foot from New Jersey, not bad. The aluminum antenna is much quieter than the Fiberglass I-Max. I also up graded the coax to RG-213 and It should help. The antenna went together easy with my phillips and the 2 allen wrenches provided. It is fairly well made and should last the harsh New Jersey winters. I can already say On the receive it is better than the I-Max and more pleasant to the ears! transmit, to early to tell.

5 people like this.
  3. Spiderleggs

Spiderleggs Member

Looks good.

4. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

i agree!! i replaced my imax with a sirio 2016 much quieter on rx which really brings
    in those weak signals the imax couldnt do. on tx i wont go into s meter readings
    but i will say locals 60 miles away or more can now hear me

5. Grogan

The tests are in!

I do like this antenna. Is it better then the Maco V 5/8 not sure never had one. But for what it is and nicely built,easy to build and install, sounds good and also seems to get out good. For the price it's a winner too me.

#5 Grogan, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. Z-MAN 369

Z-MAN 369 Active Member

I run a Sirio Tornado myself, great RX/TX! I also had a fiberglass static stick that had no ears, huge improvement. Best bang for the buck antenna, $88 shipped to my door and looks sweet on my roof too.

3 people like this.
  7. Wizard200056

Wizard200056 Member

Total agreement.My Tornado performs better than my Vector I took down for maintainence.Locals tell me TX is slighty stronger and RX is at least as good but quieter. Great skip shooter!A real surprise for an inexpensive antenna.

2 people like this.
  8. Lil'Yeshua

Lil'Yeshua .......

1 person likes this.
  9. Grogan

10. Z-MAN 369

Z-MAN 369 Active Member

Im very suprised that the Sirio Tornado isnt more popular (Im the only one around my area that owns/uses one) maybe the price scares the big shots away, lol. Better engineered/designed than a more expensive Maco 5/8.......I got an awesome antenna for the price, Sirio should charge $130, then it would be the best? LOL!

1 person likes this.
  11. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

You guys are making me want to cry...I just bought a Maco 5/8 off ebay new for $100 and I'm in the process of getting enough time to replace my Imax. I hope it is at least better than the Imax.

1 person likes this.
  12. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

If you can get the V5/8 to tune right...then you should be well pleased, compared to the Imax, even if you can only claim to hear better. I think you will basically appreciate how much quieter the Maco is vs. the Imax.

2 people like this.
  13. BammBamm

I

14. BammBamm

I am amazed with my new Maco. The amount of hiss and static seems to be much less and I am of course able to hear better. I had no ground plane on the Imax but I don't think it would have mattered.:p: By the way I'm running a 257HP into 50' of lmr400 and the maco 5/8.