• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new astatic quality

stingray

Dec 12, 2008
Can anyone tell me if they know anything about the quality of the new astatic hand held d104's? someone told me they are junk and that the switch will break quickly?

New ones are garbage and dont even have the sound quality without adding a part or 2 Ill stick with my older models eventhough I really dont even use any of my D104 microphones I have one of the older handheld m6B still in the damn box not even wired for anything I guess I just left it alone because I have 3 others I dont even use so there was no need to wire another one up.

I can tell you from setting up other radios that had new ASTATIC D104 mics on them that the sound is not very good some were muffled some way high pitched like you were yelling through a driveway culvert!

if you can find a nice shape 575 go that route .the new hand held d104`s arent that different then the old ones really .they all have switch problems after awhile .
after about a year they would get a scratchy switch and cleaning it was only a temp solution as it would come back quite quickly .

the switch in the 575 is much better and easier to key as well .but be prepared to pay dearly for one thats mint .

Old vs New D104-M6?

I've read/heard that the newer, aka "overseas-junk," versions of the D104M6B have a raised, or "bubble" type sticker with blue lettering and a red lighting bolt and the older, vintage, better quality, made in Ohio, USA D104M6B's have an embossed label stamped "Astatic" into the plastic of the mic body. Can anyone confirm that?

Considering the relatively cheap price of the Chinese hand-held D-104's plus the fact that you can easily modify them to sound like a 575 (which are hard to find and expensive if you do) by installing a variable resistor/tone control - I wouldn't think twice about buying one if that is what you want.

There is a thread somewhere here on the forum for that mod; think macmobile43 posted that info.

I own two of the Chinese mics. I run with the RF Limited CR-577 mic in my mobile. Sounds better than a D-104 to my ear . . .

Last edited:
Considering the relatively cheap price of the Chinese hand-held D-104's plus the fact that you can easily modify them to sound like a 575 (which are hard to find and expensive if you do) by installing a variable resistor/tone control - I wouldn't think twice about buying one if that is what you want.

There is a thread somewhere here on the forum for that mod; think macmobile43 posted that info.

I own two of the Chinese mics. I run with the RF Limited CR-577 mic in my mobile. Sounds better than a D-104 to my ear . . .

I might try that mod on a cheaper d140m6, I just picked up a us-made D104m6 off of flea-bay and had no knowledge about us vs china versions until I joined this forum and I lucked out cause I got the us made one. I wired it to my 2510 and got some great audio reports, had a DX contact say he wished his audio on his kenwood hf rig sounded as good as my set up. I also have a 575m6 wireed for the 2510 but use it less and less, where I work, I don't feel comfortable leaving a nice radio in the truck, I've got a pretty much stock cobra ssb with a cobra dynamike for commuting to work. Thanks for all the tips! 73's

Greg

That was a smart move Greg (y) Its nice to see people actually listen or take advice when its given. Some people just wing it and do it anyways then go gee they were right. Its obvious when you see several people comment and all say the same things about quality on a particular item its just simply common sense when the writtings on the wall.

Reactions: 1 person
That was a smart move Greg (y) Its nice to see people actually listen or take advice when its given. Some people just wing it and do it anyways then go gee they were right. Its obvious when you see several people comment and all say the same things about quality on a particular item its just simply common sense when the writtings on the wall.

You've always been the voice of reason, almost Cronkitic.

Personally I would suggest using a radio that is good and loud with a stock mic.
I have heard a bunch of the new Astatic power mics and they sound fine but have shoddy quality control.
Made in China says it all.

D104M6B vs 575M6

Just got off the radio and my US-made 575M6 (on my HR2510) was performing better than the D140M6 shooting skip today on CH38 LSB. My 575M6 is close to 20 years old and bought it brand new from a great tech in Nashua NH, too bad he's passed on now. Good techs are hard to find.

Not to derail the thread, but I picked up off of flea-bay, a NOS Turner RK56, an older model from when they were being sold in cardboard boxes rather than plastic clam-shell packages. On the paper work, there was a date on the bottom, 5/96 on the warrenty paper. To my surprise, the box said assembled in mexico. It's performing well, as far as I can tell on my 138XLR, and on my monitor radio in the shack has great clean audio from the 138.

I've caught the audio "bug" and want to try out any microphone i can get my hands on. Looking for a Turner SSK or +3 desk mic. I've also read/heard that the Astatic 1104C is a pretty good mic, there's one on fleabay that's new in box and going for $60+. Are those mics worth the $$+¢¢? Are they a 575M6 in a desk-mic version?

73's and thanks for all the replies,

Greg

I've also read/heard that the Astatic 1104C is a pretty good mic, there's one on fleabay that's new in box and going for $60+. Are those mics worth the $$+¢¢? Are they a 575M6 in a desk-mic version?
This is a really old thread but for anyone else yes the 1104c is the desk equivalent of the 575m6. I have both and they sound very similar. Actually just got a 1104c to mate up to my 101ZD.

dxChat
Help Users