• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New CB Antenna help

XJarhead89

Sep 23, 2006
I just purchased a Cobra 29 WX ST CB and am new to CB'ing so I am wondering how to pick an antenna for my truck. I am going to mount it on my rear tire rack and have no idea what to get as I didn't realize there were thousands of choices. Any suggestions would be helpful--simple language please as I don't know the lingo yet. Thanks!

XJarhead89 said:
I am wondering how to pick an antenna for my truck. I am going to mount it on my rear tire rack

What type of vehicle and tire rack?

I used a RadShack mirror-mount with a 3/8-24 threaded receptacle on my Bronco - the spare tire carrier is made out of tubing that's roughly 1" in diameter. Of course, I had to use slightly longer bolts than were supplied with the mount. The finished installation is very strong and will easily support a Hustler mobile mast and large ham-band resonator. The average CB antenna should pose no problem at all with such an arrangement...even one with a big loading coil.

Its on an SUV, I am more interested in the different types of antennas, tuning them, atenuators... I was just hoping that I could get one to work out of the box. I looked at the "Firestick" in the 36" but how do you figure out how far/clear they will work?

out of the box..... wilson 1000 or 5000.

bolt it on put the whip all the way down in there pull up like maybe a 1/8 inch and you should be real close. then forget about it.

might want to make sure you have good electrical contact/ground between the tire rack and body to frame of vehichle though.

Is that an 1/8 above the vehicle roofline?? Thanks for the tip on the ground, something I had not thought of.... How high is the 1000 or 5000-- does the length of the antenna matter? I was looking at a 36"

Generally, the bigger the antenna, the farther you will talk / hear. A 36" antenna is just a really short antenna for CB and won't do much more than a mile or two at best. Personally, I wouldn't do a Wilson 1000 or 5000 for your install unless you can get the coil (the big black part) above the roof line. You'll have a lot of trouble getting it to work if you it's too close to the rear glass and sheet metal, I think. A longer antenna like a 5' Wilson Silverload (fiberglass) or Firestik II will work pretty good since the coil part of the antenna will be above the roof line. 4' will be a decent compromise if you think 5' is too tall. The best for your vehicle is probably the old 102" whip, but that's a tall one. Either the 5' wilson silverload or firestik II will only be around $20.

I'll tell you another one that ain't to picky when it comes to location and SWR ...........FRANSIS !! they come in 3ft , 4ft, 4.5ft , 5.5ft , and 8ft. , there really isn't much to these antenna's , but they work !! even the little 3ft'er will perform pretty darn good for what it is. I believe all sizes run between 8 and 10 bucks or so depending on where you by them.

running a galaxy II with a wilson 5000 on the roof really made a difference had it on the side of the bed but had trouble getting the swr flat on it looks like hell but really gets out better than buddys kd 40 that he has mounted inside box on a bracket.better on roof if you dont mind the looks of it theremike

So the coil is the important part for signal? I was hoping for a 12" reveal over the top of the truck so it wasn't to ugly... A 36"-48" won't matter if only 12" is above the vehicle, correct?? I have had my eye on the Firestik 36" or 48" since it claims superior performance out of the box and an extra heavy coil--Thanks for the help!!

Magmount Wilson 1000...ON THE ROOF. I've talked the world on one running 200 watts, and have worked MANY a station with 4 watts. If you want plug and play, tough, reliable...that's the only way to go.

102" steel whip! easy to tune! trees are tricky when mounted high put the spring on it for sure! I've used many different one but always came back to the 102"

Hard to pick out unless your close! udetectable at night good for rabbit hunts fox hunts whatever ya call them!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.