• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New cb user old cb

New cb user

Nov 1, 2013
So I was given a cb radio the other day and thought I would ask some questions about it. It's a Regency cr-230 cb with 23 channels. From my research I understand that today that's all I need. While in my own time I will upgrade to something newer but this is a good start for me I think. My question is how reliable are most of these model radio? I know it was first made in 1977 or 1976 until 1980. This raises another question for me. Is my radio rare because of the required 40 channel production that started in 1977? Right now I don't even know if this thinks works because I don't yet have an antenna for it. I can only find limited info on this radio. It has a needle indicator instead of the more modern electronic display. I plan on testing the thing out next week using a friends setup. I'm only getting into this because there are a lot of dead zones in my area and I'm worried about my car breaking down in them. Also does anybody know if a 97 civic has enough ground plane for a cb?

So I was given a cb radio the other day and thought I would ask some questions about it. It's a Regency cr-230 cb with 23 channels. From my research I understand that today that's all I need. While in my own time I will upgrade to something newer but this is a good start for me I think. My question is how reliable are most of these model radio? I know it was first made in 1977 or 1976 until 1980. This raises another question for me. Is my radio rare because of the required 40 channel production that started in 1977? Right now I don't even know if this thinks works because I don't yet have an antenna for it. I can only find limited info on this radio. It has a needle indicator instead of the more modern electronic display. I plan on testing the thing out next week using a friends setup. I'm only getting into this because there are a lot of dead zones in my area and I'm worried about my car breaking down in them. Also does anybody know if a 97 civic has enough ground plane for a cb?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your new to you rig doesn't seem to be rare, other than it's maybe rare to have one of that model these days. Most of these old rigs that weren't collectible got tossed in the trash. Other times they work just fine without any issues. I have an oldie that actually was taken OUT of the trash at a stereo shop and given to me! It's the one on the bottom:

Lots of fun to play with an old rig if it's in working condition. Many times capacitors get dried out in these old rigs, the crystals have drifted off frequency, and other problems can get in the way. If you have a shop that will check it out for you, or if you have a watt meter/swr meter you can test it and make sure it's working ok.

Your Civic has enough metal to give you a decent ground plane. Just be sure to buy a quality antenna and coax. Roof mount in the center is always the best, but if your Civic has a trunk you can do a mount from there, too. A Wilson 500 or 1000 would be a good choice, and there are many others out there.

RT307

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your new to you rig doesn't seem to be rare, other than it's maybe rare to have one of that model these days. Most of these old rigs that weren't collectible got tossed in the trash. Other times they work just fine without any issues. I have an oldie that actually was taken OUT of the trash at a stereo shop and given to me! It's the one on the bottom:

Lots of fun to play with an old rig if it's in working condition. Many times capacitors get dried out in these old rigs, the crystals have drifted off frequency, and other problems can get in the way. If you have a shop that will check it out for you, or if you have a watt meter/swr meter you can test it and make sure it's working ok.

Your Civic has enough metal to give you a decent ground plane. Just be sure to buy a quality antenna and coax. Roof mount in the center is always the best, but if your Civic has a trunk you can do a mount from there, too. A Wilson 500 or 1000 would be a good choice, and there are many others out there.

RT307

Thanks for the information. Once I get this thing tested and see how well it works who knows what I might do with it.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.