• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Cobra 29 LX

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Was looking at the tune up reports on utube and a 6 watt dead key with 26 watts or so out. Is this done buy adjust the modulation and am carrier or is major tune up work performed.

Give it some time, somebody will post up about it. Never tried one myself, but I have heard they tune up pretty strong.

RT307

Haven't looked into one hands-on, but based on the component ratings for the driver/final and the audio amp the numbers you posted are within reason. Wireweasel had one,maybe he could post up on this.

Do yourself a favor and send the radio to a good tech with the right equipment for the job. There is way more to it then twisting a pot er two. There are some good video's on you-tube from quality radio techs, there are many many more from clowns that have no clue. From posts here the new version Cobra 29's internal guts are the same as the old version. All mods and tune tricks should still work.

Reactions: NZ8N
Yeah if somebody has one that would be a big help. I posted about buying imports with a little extra power and found by the time you pay for the radio,Conversion and tune it's more than I wanted to spend for a work truck radio. I did buy the cobra for under 100.00 delivered new in the sealed box. I guess I need to know will it tune down to 1 1/2 to 2 watts for a small 50 watt RM amp without the variable power mod or will it tune to 5-6 Dead key 25 watt swing. Just wondering cause it's on the way. I can adjust watts and modulation pots but not a super tune.or variable power mod.
Thanks

Go the new Cobra 29 LX was set to almost 4 watts and 70% mod. Set it to 5 swing to almost 10 opened vr4 and 100% is about 1 to 2 oclock mic gain, Have to set the levels on the DM-452 inside and out. ( not 26 watts, must be a swing kit or something? on youtube
See what happens when the skip quiets down for some radio checks...

There is no VR pot to adjust the dead key on a 29, you have to add a resistor and cap. Sometimes you have to play around with the resisor value's to get the right dead key.

Yeah a resistor and a cap some people will make it variable with a pot or use the RF gain. I just adjusted dead key for a little more power and better swing.
spent a few minutes to adjust the DM-452 mic, Getting great reports with just a hint of echo, put a new dot on the mic with a silver sharpie to mark the spot

Yeah a resistor and a cap some people will make it variable with a pot or use the RF gain. I just adjusted dead key for a little more power and better swing.
spent a few minutes to adjust the DM-452 mic, Getting great reports with just a hint of echo, put a new dot on the mic with a silver sharpie to mark the spot

Hmm, ok, and how did you adjust the dead key?

VR4 for modulation and because of the wax and glue on the board I can't se the numbers and letters but by looking at the picture layout I would say its
L14 remove a small amount of wax.

Tried Stock mic, Nothing special....
Tried DM-452 sounds great adjusted for a touch of echo set internal adjustments with some friends about 7-8 miles away.
Tried the RK-56 Said the mic is verry clear and verry steady. Doesn't sound as loud as the DM-452 like the 56 doesn't swing but sounded great real clear. Couldn't try the D104-M6B Have wired for 6 pin now,But would like to.

There is no VR pot to adjust the dead key on a 29, you have to add a resistor and cap. Sometimes you have to play around with the resisor value's to get the right dead key.
Yes there is, it's right by the rear final! I know for a fact, I turned mine down. You need to scratch the wax off the top. Then with your meter connected, and mic gain off, screw down that adjustment until u get your desired dead key

Attachments

• 20180917_203042.jpg
    20180917_203042.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Dominick,

what he was talking about was a variable resistor that is meant to vary only the deadkey.

you are talking about one of the inductors in the trap circuit, and turning it in order to turn your deadkey down, you have effectively mismatched the impdedance of the circuit.
yes, you have less deadkey, but you also have a mismatched final and less modulation.

turning that slug is not the way to lower power in this chassis.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.