• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New CrankIR portable antenna from Steppir

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
SteppIR has announced a new crank-up portable HF antenna called the CrankIR that is quite interesting.

moleculo-albums-miscellaneous-picture3862-crankir-steppir.jpg

The antenna is a folded vertical design with an optional tunable elevated radial system. From the early advertisements, we can see that the antenna is based on a telescoping mast / tripod with which supports a folded wire or cable fed from the base. The pictures make it difficult to see the detail, but apparently there is an option to turn it into a portable dipole, as well. It looks like a reel type mechanism is used to managing the wire. The full ad is located at CrankIR Series Antenna | Steppir, Inc – Antennas for Amateur Radio and Industry

Costs for the antenna and all options looks like it will run close to $700, although it appears that you can get a working antenna for considerably less.

I saw the demo in Dayton. Easy to set up and tune. The radial system is very slick and easy to use. Should be a very efficient antenna.

Even with the reels for the radials would fit in a suitcase with plenty of room for clothes. Under 10lbs. with all the options if I recall correctly.

That's a deal breaker for me.

I emailed with some questions about the antenna. If you have an existing mast, you the CrankIR will accept a diameter between 0.75" and 1.7". The radial part is optional, so you can use your own solution if you like. The basic antenna with no radial option is $379, which covers 40m-2m.

I'll stick with the one I made from a MFJ-1979 telescopic whip, a vice grip mount, and a stand, cost 63 bucks

I'll stick with my roll of wire and a lead weight and FC-40 auto-tuner with the FT-857. The wire and weight cost me $5 and I already had the tuner from years gone by. Throw it up into a tree etc. and away I go. That's truly the beauty of an auto-tuner for portable operations. You can load almost anything.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.