• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New First 2 Meter Radio

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
Any suggestions / recommendations for my first 2 meter radio for a base unit?
I'm planning to take the test for the Technician License. Something simple, practical, a legible screen and not cluttered with a bunch of program settings. Thank you. RECON 881 NY.

I would probably look for a duel bander. 2m 440 mobile. Something offered by the big 3. Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu. Decent power supply with a little extra current than the mobile pulls...for cushioning. A run of LMR 400 to a fiberglass vertical mounted as high as possible. Comet and Diamond make some good models.

That would get you going well for not a ton of cash.
Good luck 73

I would probably look for a duel bander. 2m 440 mobile. Something offered by the big 3. Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu. Decent power supply with a little extra current than the mobile pulls...for cushioning. A run of LMR 400 to a fiberglass vertical mounted as high as possible. Comet and Diamond make some good models.

That would get you going well for not a ton of cash.
Good luck 73
Thank you for the advice.
I have 70' of new LMR400UF coax with soldered Amphenol 259 connectors and a ASTRON VS-70M power supply. I've been looking at numerous (and complicated) dual-band radios and the screens on many seem to be small and congested. I've (sort of) decided on a Diamond 510 base antenna. I am in the "window shopping" stage for the right radio.

TYT products demo sale!~

Purchase no rig less then 50 watts IMHO...if mono-band 2m is choice 65–80-watt versions would be my suggestions above. IMHO these are the least complicated. However, there are no (No Menu) radios anymore.... You'll learn just like the rest of us (y) :ROFLMAO:
GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: I like the antenna choice.

Reactions: w9cll
Sounds like you're off to a good start. I have run a couple of Diamond offerings through the years (x50,x200) with good results. Always wanted to try out the big 17ft Diamond 510 to compare its performance to my smaller dual/tri banders.

TYT products demo sale!~

Purchase no rig less then 50 watts IMHO...if mono-band 2m is choice 65–80-watt versions would be my suggestions above. IMHO these are the least complicated. However, there are no (No Menu) radios anymore.... You'll learn just like the rest of us (y) :ROFLMAO:
GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

How about the ICOM ICV-3500?

TYT products demo sale!~

GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I don't know if there will be any interest in GMRS in my area, but I am considering a dual-band radio and base antenna.

I started with an FT-7800, then bought another. They are very simple and inexpensive dual band radios. I then bought an IC-2730, and I have to look at a book often to figure it out.

I only keep the IC-2730 because of its features, not because I like the radio.

I started with an FT-7800, then bought another. They are very simple and inexpensive dual band radios. I then bought an IC-2730, and I have to look at a book often to figure it out.

I only keep the IC-2730 because of its features, not because I like the radio.
The 7800 looks inviting and I like because it does not have a detachable face plate. Is it a FT-7800R?

It is an R, but I think all of the radios just say FT-7800 on them. They may not look like it, but the faceplate is removable.
The 7800 with the Diamond X510HDM might just be the right combination. I'd like to have a radio and antenna that I will keep and use for a long time because I sure as heck don't want to get wrapped-up with buying different radios as I (we) do in the CB arena.

Discontinued and replaced by 7900?
I think the 7900 is discontinued also, that is why they are so cheap. They are practically indestructible, but they aren't dual recieve, crossband repeat, dstar, or all the other fancy stuff, so nobody really wants them. It isn't like buying a used export that is likely on its last leg, or already has problems.

ProductHeader.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated