• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New First 2 Meter Radio

ProductHeader.jpg
I love mine but might be a little much for a beginner...

Reactions: L2
Yes, a little too much for me. The ICOM IC-2730 with the optional mounting bracket may be another candidate.
The menus aren't intuitive. If I use it often it isn't terrible, but if I don't use mine weekly, I forget. It's really annoying, but then again, they are getting pretty cheap now. Unless you want a digital voice mode, the 2730 has pretty much anything you'd want other than ssb.

The menus aren't intuitive. If I use it often it isn't terrible, but if I don't use mine weekly, I forget. It's really annoying, but then again, they are getting pretty cheap now. Unless you want a digital voice mode, the 2730 has pretty much anything you'd want other than ssb.
I have no use for the detachable face, and it is a bummer that the mounting bracket is a (costly) option.

I don't want to jump into an empty pool and buy something I will regret later. I've read a negative comment relating to the noise of the internal fan.

Recon: Don't sweat the reviews, most certainly from Eham...You can have a $10,000 radio and someone will call it junk!
Take 10 reviews...throughout the best and the worst reviews...then read the 3 in the middle :LOL:
Menu's same way...My HF rig has like 200+ menus...85% are still at factory default...might make a change or two a week...normally on receiver...BUT otherwise set and forget... Lots of info out there on most current rigs...look around then decide...
First set your Budget ...
Then your wants (freq's/dual band/ power/ etc.) extra access. /Wattmeter-swr bridge/etc.
Then look at the group that fits...then shop...
Many here to help...
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I don't want to jump into an empty pool and buy something I will regret later. I've read a negative comment relating to the noise of the internal fan.
If you want to get a station setup, I'll send you an FT-7800. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it or decide to upgrade, I'll pay for you to ship it back.

Reactions: Blackcat630
Recon: Don't sweat the reviews, most certainly from Eham...You can have a $10,000 radio and someone will call it junk!
Take 10 reviews...throughout the best and the worst reviews...then read the 3 in the middle :LOL:
Menu's same way...My HF rig has like 200+ menus...85% are still at factory default...might make a change or two a week...normally on receiver...BUT otherwise set and forget... Lots of info out there on most current rigs...look around then decide...
First set your Budget ...
Then your wants (freq's/dual band/ power/ etc.) extra access. /Wattmeter-swr bridge/etc.
Then look at the group that fits...then shop...
Many here to help...
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
Thank you and the others for the advice. I've just about decided that a dual-band would a good compromise, but first, I should purchase and install the antenna. It would be practical and cost effective to purchase the antenna and radio as a package from one source at the same time, but I need to decide on which radio I want.

I'm an Icom guy. Have 2 Ic-2300's, one mobile and the other as a secondary 2 Meter Home Station inside .... the main shack is in an outbuilding workshop. The 2300 is straightforward and easy to use. Is the current offering so has all the modern features. Choose your Display Color. Total of 207 Memory Channels. Super fast Scan Speed. Can "name" the Memory Channels with Lettering instead of frequency numbers if you want. 5/10/25/65 watts. Heavy Duty - Mil. Spec. Would recommend this radio to God. Can't go wrong.

I'm an Icom guy. Have 2 Ic-2300's, one mobile and the other as a secondary 2 Meter Home Station inside .... the main shack is in an outbuilding workshop. The 2300 is straightforward and easy to use. Is the current offering so has all the modern features. Choose your Display Color. Total of 207 Memory Channels. Super fast Scan Speed. Can "name" the Memory Channels with Lettering instead of frequency numbers if you want. 5/10/25/65 watts. Heavy Duty - Mil. Spec. Would recommend this radio to God. Can't go wrong.
Any noticeable advantage of the IC-2730 vs the IC-2300? One thing for certain, the 2730 requires the optional $$$$ ICO-MBA-4 Brackets to eliminate the detachable face.

Oops! My bad! 2730 is a dual band.

For entry level radio...not bad really...Cadilac no ... VW Beetle! :ROFLMAO:

For entry level radio...not bad really...Cadilac no ... VW Beetle! :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the info.
A VW Beetle will get me to the store just as good as a Cadilac. Lol...lol!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated