• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Galaxy 2547 - last digit "1"

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys. I hope i am not beating a dead horse here with this and realize in the grand scheme of things that the last digit on the freq display being off a tad is no deal breaker. This base is new non modifed and after warmed up the last digit sits at 1. I realize i can correct this using clarifier - on and a slight bump to the left corrects. Is there a simple adjustment to zero this last digit so i dont need to do it manually with the clarifier in the on position. A galaxy is probably not great with someone somewhat ocd but thought i would check with you guys about this as maybe this can be adjusted. Again the radio is well warmed up. TIA and 73's

Reactions: whiteastro

The counter board has a trimmer cap to adjust it. If you go to the other end of the band and that 1 digit changes, adjusting at the counter is not the solution.

When the 27.385X digit changes with channel, it suggests the PLL reference oscillator is off, not the counter oscillator or the other mixer oscillators.

If that 1 digit stays the same on all channels AND your radio is ON FREQUENCY with the clarifier CENTERED, you can adjust it at the counter board. But only if those conditions are met. If not, the main board needs an alignment.

Reactions: NZ8N and whiteastro
If you do try to adjust that counter trimmer, approach it gently as it doesn't take much to move the counter that far. Whatever tool you use to turn it, wrap tape around the handle so you have a larger diameter and can turn it slower. With a skinny tool, you can wear it out going back and forth finding the sweet spot. I believe those tiny trim caps have a rotational life span in the dozens, not hundreds or thousands like a variable resistor.

Thanks for the info Brandon. I will give that a try. If no go i will learn to live with it. A buddy of mine didnt like the 2547 and wanted a saturn i had so we traded one old drifter for this newer drifter. To me it was a good deal just in age difference. Have a great day and upcoming weekend
73s

Here is a nice run down of this radio. Don't be surprised when you run SSB to see that last number move all over the place while tuning someone in. It's a Galaxy, they are known for drifting.

If you do try to adjust that counter trimmer, approach it gently as it doesn't take much to move the counter that far. Whatever tool you use to turn it, wrap tape around the handle so you have a larger diameter and can turn it slower. With a skinny tool, you can wear it out going back and forth finding the sweet spot. I believe those tiny trim caps have a rotational life span in the dozens, not hundreds or thousands like a variable resistor.
Wrapping the adjustment tool is a awesome idea!!! What a PITA adjusting to frequency. A smidge moves it 100hz in either direction at times.

That 6 digit display especially makes the drift more obvious which can be annoying. I'm thinking that's why ranger went to a 5 digit display on several of their radios. I had an AM only 936ffb with a six digit counter and just when you thought you had it straightened out, breathing into it's direction would make it shift. It didn't really matter on that radio but it was annoying as heck to see that digit changing back and forth.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.