• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New guy test

Capt. Kirk

Aug 12, 2023
Just joined. Back in my 30's I used CB when I was a trucker. All I knew about them was to key the mic and talk. I'm getting back into it now and I'm pretty much still at the "key the mic and talk" level of knowledge. I've got a cb in the jeep and I've got a new Cobra 29 LTD setup as a base station downstairs. I recently got a President Washington base station at a garage sale for $50. After I got it home I noticed a couple switches that didn't look stock so here we go. Took the covers off and sent pictures to a coworker who is very smart about radios and he linked me to a post here. He linked me to a thread regarding what these mods may be...and here I am. Joined up and ready to absorb as much radio knowledge as I can at my age.
The way things like this go with me is that I dip my toe into the water and in a year I'll be building an addition onto the house and upgrading to an 800 amp panel to power all the equipment I'm gonna want to play with. Today I am dipping my toe in the water.

Welcome, Cpt! You sound like me. I've already passed the phase of expansion and have already cleaned house. I went from a bunch of Yaesus, Palomars and misc, down to one Stryker 955 and a Texas Star 500. Still talking but I don't have a fortune tied up in things I never use.

Welcome! This is a great place, I have learned a lot in my short time here. The number of people here that are willing to share their knowledge is truly amazing. The only prerequisite is that you are willing to learn.

Chris
I'm always willing to learn. This Washington base station was $50...I know it's old and may be on it's last legs. I was able to talk with my wife on it from the jeep in the driveway. I probably had all the knobs set wrong but I was able to talk through it. What a better piece of equipment to learn something on. If I make it go up in smoke it was a $50 lesson. When I came back into this I was a volume and squelch guy. Bought an SWR meter and can now tune antennas. The Solarcon is 0 as far as I can tell and the Jeep is at 2 after adjusting so I need to learn why and what to do about it. I wanna get the Washington going first if I can.

Welcome, Cpt! You sound like me. I've already passed the phase of expansion and have already cleaned house. I went from a bunch of Yaesus, Palomars and misc, down to one Stryker 955 and a Texas Star 500. Still talking but I don't have a fortune tied up in things I never use.
I see you're in MI...I'm in Metamora MI

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'm always willing to learn. This Washington base station was $50...I know it's old and may be on it's last legs. I was able to talk with my wife on it from the jeep in the driveway. I probably had all the knobs set wrong but I was able to talk through it. What a better piece of equipment to learn something on. If I make it go up in smoke it was a $50 lesson. When I came back into this I was a volume and squelch guy. Bought an SWR meter and can now tune antennas. The Solarcon is 0 as far as I can tell and the Jeep is at 2 after adjusting so I need to learn why and what to do about it. I wanna get the Washington going first if I can.
Those Washingtons and Madisons are great radios, they don't make them like that anymore. Our member @unit_399 has a website with information about these old gems. I sure love my Madison, would never part with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.