• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New guy's setup

May 30, 2011
New to the forum, thought get out there, say "hello" and get a couple pictures of the setup. It's not much, but I guess i have the do more with less mindset.

My rig's a Galaxy DX 959. The antenna is a homebrew dipole setup made with pvc. It's an experiment, and we'll have to see how it well it holds up to a storm.

You can see the Kenwood R2000 receiver I use to scan the bands. I Use the desk mic to pick up sstv and psk31 on the Acer desktop computer.

I know it's not as impressive as some of the people's equipment on here, but I have fun with it.

P1050396a.jpg

P1050400a.jpg

P1050398a.jpg

Looks sweet, I love the DIY stuff..

If I may share my thoughts, I'd like to say that since your antenna is horizontally polarized, you'd be paying a premium in received signal strength to the vast majority of stations you'll talk to since the majority of CBers seem to have vertical antennas. The difference in your listener's received signal strength if the transmitting antenna and receiving antenna have different polarities can be as much as a 10dB decrease. Your antenna looks well constructed, and it looks as though it wouldn't be too difficult to make it a vertical dipole. You might be able to improve on your performance significantly by doing so.

welcome to the forum Bob!
psk31 is awesome (when there is conditions).
great looking setup, like that DIY antenne!
i see your a Guinness fan :)

oh no double post! sorry

Looks sweet, I love the DIY stuff..

If I may share my thoughts, I'd like to say that since your antenna is horizontally polarized, you'd be paying a premium in received signal strength to the vast majority of stations you'll talk to since the majority of CBers seem to have vertical antennas. The difference in your listener's received signal strength if the transmitting antenna and receiving antenna have different polarities can be as much as a 10dB decrease. Your antenna looks well constructed, and it looks as though it wouldn't be too difficult to make it a vertical dipole. You might be able to improve on your performance significantly by doing so.

Thanks for the input, Eagle. I have thought about vertical vs. horizontal, and will probably be putting something else together in the future. To me, half the fun is experimenting and building something new.

Honestly, although I've been interested in radio for a long time, I just started getting into it recently and am relatively new to it all. Any comments or information is always appreciated. :D

oh no double post! sorry

Thanks, Morse123. I get the most enjoyment from building and experimenting. DIY projects are where it's at! I'm a fan of all things beer! (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.