• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham and (probably) VX8DR owner needs advice on antennae

Mar 19, 2013
I am about to purchase a VX8DR as my first rig... I kinda liked the increased Rx range (AM-FM- Aircraft freq) and the ability to add a GPS for APRS and bluetooth in the future if I am able to figure out a way to pay HRO more of my hard earned cash. I want to be excited about it but keep feeling as though they really had me over a barrel for the accessories when the Kenwood D72 came with more stuff as part of the package. So unless I change my mind right off I am looking for both a better antennae (as I read the stock one kinda sucks) as well as one for my car. Not sure what to get so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

FWIW I have actually tried to look online and research this a bit but I have been slightly overwhelmed with info and technical jargon that is still a bit foreign to me. Looking really for guys that might frequent this forum that have the voice of experience with this to tell me that Brand X or Type X is a real solid choice or quality brand. I don't require anything super compact or super huge - just something that flat out will work. I'll mostly be Tx on 2m for now and doing a bunch of listening.

Handhelds have their place,but they are very limited as to their range reguardless of the antenna you put on them.They are great little workhorses and will serve you well,just keep in mind they are kind of like using a slingshot when you need a high powered rifle

For the kind of money the retailers are wanting for those things,might take a hard look at a duel band mobile ,the mobile will have alot better range if you are running it in the home or car,and get a less expencive duel band handheld for walkabout...

For what the handheld you are after costs I managed to pick up a nice 2 meter mobile and a 2 meter/440 handheld and still have money left over

I am sure you took some time and done your homework as far as to what features you are looking for in a radio,just be sure to explore all your options before dropping that kind of money on a radio

and welcome to the board !!

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the kind welcome aboard. Truth is I only live less than a mile from work and spend little to no time in my car really... and in my house being in its current state of construction I really have no place for a base type station (yet!!). If I can play around and monitor 2m plus have the other goodies to keep me occupied. I will be happy as long as I can hit the local repeaters. It is probably overkill for a radio but I do like the extended Rx it offers as well as the bluetooth and GPS upgrades available. With a portable I can take it with me to work and mess around with it - I am finding with these rigs nothing does it ALL but the ones that come closest want to take all your money. Your analogy is a good one and the advice is well received.

Take a hard look at the Yaesu FT 60 handheld .It is a duel bander and has a really nice extended receive as well. And the best part is it is under 200$.

I have had mine for about a month now and I am really enjoying it,small and compact ,5 watts output,simple to program,good battery life....and is fairly tough as well.I work construction and I have had it out on the job site with me a few times and so far it hasnt had any issues...

I have found if I get any hight off the ground my handheld does really preform well with the factory antenna,I have actually hit a repeater that was about 20 miles from where I was located at the time ...and I was about 25 feet off the ground on a roof at the time.

I did also pick up the Comet SMA 503 antenna for it and it does a pretty good job but for my personal use at work I am afraid it will end up damaged.But I do take it with me should I need a back up antenna with a bit better performance...but keep in mind most all handheld antennas are little more than dummy loads and will not put out a signal very well at all

I would have to say if I were just getting started in ham radio as you are and knowing what I know today....I would get a little less expencive handheld such as the FT 60,I know I am very happy with that handheld and it will perform as well as a 500$ one... hang onto the extra money till I was ready to invest in a good mobile radio,power supply and base antenna ...... but that is just my two cents worth.

I am sure more folks will reply to your post as well with their ideas....

You have found one of the better forums out here for the radio hobby...there is a wealth of good info here,feel free to look around in any sub forum you can access and ask ALOT of questions ,the more you do that the better off you will be down the road,and once again welcome to the board!!

I have to agree with kd-5-bgt.

Start with something cheaper to see what do you really like. I started with Wouxun UVD1, then after a year I decided to go the TH-D72 way, APRS is a bless and lots of fun. In the meanwhile, I got HF rig, Yaesu FT-857d also :) And I still use my Wouxun :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.