• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Here with Questions on Selling

mx721

Jan 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I stumbled across these forums when searching for what happened to Express Electronics. I picked up a neat little tuned setup from them back in 2001, and ran it for about a year until skip died down and put it into storage. Well, it's out of storage now after a recent move, and I've been wondering what to do with it.

What I've found is that no one online seems to sell tuned export radios in the US anymore, as well as offering tuning and matching to amps. I hesitate to sell it because it appears to be close to impossible to find again if I ever so desired such a setup. At the same time, it's just sitting there taking up much needed space in the garage. In the past 5-6 years I've never had a need for a CB radio at all.

If I do want to sell, would these forums be the appropriate place to post it? Or am I just asking for trouble? :)

I stumbled across these forums when searching for what happened to Express Electronics. I picked up a neat little tuned setup from them back in 2001, and ran it for about a year until skip died down and put it into storage. Well, it's out of storage now after a recent move, and I've been wondering what to do with it.

What I've found is that no one online seems to sell tuned export radios in the US anymore, as well as offering tuning and matching to amps. I hesitate to sell it because it appears to be close to impossible to find again if I ever so desired such a setup. At the same time, it's just sitting there taking up much needed space in the garage. In the past 5-6 years I've never had a need for a CB radio at all.

If I do want to sell, would these forums be the appropriate place to post it? Or am I just asking for trouble? :)

What kind of rig do you have?

What kind of rig do you have?

I've got a Midland 79-290, Export Version, "Turbo Tuned" and matched to a Galaxy G2HD Elite. I even still have the Big Amp Kit that I never got around to installing with the radio. It's a really thick wire with huge fuses. It turned out to be overkill, so I had went with a smaller gauge wire direct to the battery. I also had an Astatic 636L NC mic, and a cheap Overdrive CDL-100 Dynamic ext speaker that they threw in with the order. I spent close to $400 for the setup.

I sold the the mic and speaker over eBay some time ago with the intention of picking up newer gear, but never got around to it.

Completing it with a Wilson 5000 mag mount (more overkill), it was a great rig with nice and clean sound. I remember when I had the amp on high power, my headlights would dim. It has three power settings, and I would only run it high enough to make a DX contact when I heard one coming through. I don't think I ever had to run it at full power. On the road, the radio was able to hold it's own non-amplified. For this reason, I've thought of only selling the amp, but the fact that I had the radio matched to it feels like I'm parting twins or something. And although I don't think it really *needs* the extra power, it's kind of nice just knowing that it's available, you know?

Yeah EEI is long gone. I used to have one of those Midlands...they were great little CBs

This is probably what they did to the radio (from Defpom's site)

To disable the power limiter remove Q33.
NPC mod: Connect a 1N4001 diode/100ohm resistor in series.
The diode cathode(banded end) goes to the collector (center leg) of Q75.
The other end goes to the junction of R228 & R243.
Modulation limiter can be defeated by the removal of chip resistor R148.
Optional: Use VR10 to set the driver bias to 50ma.
Check that the final bias is at least 100ma.

The other thing they might have done is adjust the AM carrier for use with the amp. Here's link on the various adjustments:

CB World Informer December 1996 Issue, Midland 79-290 Review.

I don't think you would have trouble setting it up or find someone here that can help you with a new radio if that's what you want to do. Search this site for theat 79-290 and you'll find some more info about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.