• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New here.

hcfr34

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
How y'all doing. Hcfr34 waving a hand from Tampa, Fl. I have recently dusted off my stuff, after 8 or 9 years, and am ready to jump back in with 2 feet. I have forgotten most everything, so I have some questions. 1st the set up. I have a cobra 148 gtl that has been massaged with extra channels in it, hack job. My channels aren't mapped and I do not have a freq counter. I have a DX Sweet 16, I hope still works. A power echo mic and I forget the antenna, but it has a coil around the base. I know the antenna can handle the power, cause the guy I got it from used them together. I am planning on installing these items in a 2004 f150 lariat. I may want to upgrade my radio, but am unsure of what is good these days. I know back in the day, I always wanted a galaxy 77 or 88. I always heard the ranger 10mm were too fragile to run in a truck. Any new ones out there to consider? If I do get one, what should be done, upgraded, to it? Reckon my altenator will handle the draw? Should I install a second battery for my 16? I plan on putting my 16 in the bed of the truck. Will this be enough to shield my trucks electronics. Whats a good meter? Back in the day I believe it was dosi. Sorry for all the questions, but I am a little rusty. Thanks in advance, Ken.

keep what you have the older 148gtl's are great radios.

an ya a osi or raio shack meter even will be fine for setting it all up and checkin swr.

oh ya and the new rangers are all suface monut boards an will take a beating in a truck no problem. alot cleaner sounding radios IMO than the galaxy line of radios.

welcome back to the game. what size alt. in the truck? and do you talk am or ssb or both? what kind of op are you if you got extras in the cobra then you sound like a rebel freebander,(not that it's a bad thing) do you want another multi mode with a freq readout? I know too many choices, or you can be like a lot of us here many rigs, for many moods.

Yes, a freebander, but a regulation abiding one. I don't flex my radio, unless prevolked. Besides, my fatherinlaw recently became a hamm operator, and has given me the itch. This time next month, I plan on being certifiable. :LOL: I have a 110 amp, I believe, will find out for sure by tomorrow. I would like a freq counter, as well as more channel options. I did,and will frequent ssb as well as AM. I also wouldn't mind FM. I can only surmise these qualities are what you mean when you say "multimode". I am not so much interested in echoing, or sounding like a robot; however, I do like the roger beep. If they radio I seek comes with all the bells and whistles, standard, I suppose I can live with it. My glt has been an awsome radio, and has never let me down. Since I have a new truck now, I'd like something newer. The gtl will make a fine addition to my trail rig, if I ever finish it. Ken.

You say that you dont use that much power unless you have to so why not just go with a radio with a built in amp?If you dont really need that kind of power then something like a Connex 4600 turbo,Galaxy 95T/45T or a ranger turbo.They are all great radios and with the right antenna setup you should be able to talk any where you want.

If you are planning to get your ham ticket anyway i would think about something along the lines of a Icom 706.I know they cost alot,around $700.00 but its money well spent.They say those radios cant be beat!

I'll have to research the radios you mentioned. Are they mobils? I don't need the power, but I have one so why not use it. We all have pesky neighbors whom like to ruin it for all of us. With a little extra juice, people like that are of no concern.
Found out my alt is 130 amp.

King Mudduck, those are some fine choices in radios. I'll definately be looking closer at the 95t. The icom is very nice, but I am afraid that is a little out of my scope right now. Maybe down the road. .

New also

Welcome !!!!!! Good to see i'm not the only one getting back into radio :D

Wish I would have stayed active. It is frustrating, reading about this stuff, and only having a vague recollection of what people are talking about. I hate having to ask for pics and clarification about something I used to be familiar with. Oh well, guess my swing will come back eventually and I'll, once again, be wall to wall and tree top tall. LOL 8)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.