• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Hustler SSM-3 Spring

Groundhog KSS-2012

Sep 8, 2019
Just got my new Hustler SSM-3 spring in the mail this mornin'.
Looks like a great spring but, it's not as strong as the old one I've been
using that my Dad bought back in 1967. I'm bettin' it does a good enough
job though. Gonna try it after while with my 7 ft Skipshooter on it.

Btw, the new hustler spring is about 5/8 an inch shorter than my old 1967 barrel spring which, helped me a lot. Brought my SWR down to nearly even across the 11 meter band even though the nail in the tip of the skipshooter is at the bottom. Worked out perfect.
Keep us posted on how it stays together, some reviews aren't so kind to it which surprises me coming from hustler/newtronics. I need one for an upcoming installation revision so will be looking for your report.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Just got my new Hustler SSM-3 spring in the mail this mornin'.
Looks like a great spring but, it's not as strong as the old one I've been
using that my Dad bought back in 1967. I'm bettin' it does a good enough
job though. Gonna try it after while with my 7 ft Skipshooter on it.
Be prepared! The mass of the fiberglass antenna will catch the wind at highway speeds. I tried a six-foot fiberglass antenna and compared to the 102" stainless whip. The fiberglass antenna bent more than the stainless whip.

Keep us posted on how it stays together, some reviews aren't so kind to it which surprises me coming from hustler/newtronics. I need one for an upcoming installation revision so will be looking for your report.
Will do. I know one thing is for sure. It ain't NEARLY as strong as my old barrel spring.
And I did make 2 contacts this after noon on it. To California. Mounted on the same mount where I have my 102 SS Whip mounted most of the time. Top bed rail drivers side about 7 inches behind the cab.

Last edited:
Be prepared! The mass of the fiberglass antenna will catch the wind at highway speeds. I tried a six-foot fiberglass antenna and compared to the 102" stainless whip. The fiberglass antenna bent more than the stainless whip.
It does bend yes. Watching the shadow beside me going down the road and it was swaying back a fair bit.

It does bend yes. Watching the shadow beside me going down the road and it was swaying back a fair bit.
I conducted my own (myth buster) test/experiment with both antennas at 50 mph on the same road and talking with two base stations and driving in the same direction. The 102" steel whip outperformed the fiberglass antenna. I think because the fiberglass was leaned over more than the 102' steel whip. The fiberglass whip is approximately 7/16" - 1/2" diameter from the base to the top, compared to the steel whip is approximately 3/16" diameter at the base and tapers down to approximately 1/8" at the top.

Btw, the new hustler spring is about 5/8 an inch shorter than my old 1967 barrel spring which, helped me a lot. Brought my SWR down to nearly even across the 11 meter band even though the nail in the tip of the skipshooter is at the bottom. Worked out perfect.
Just a thought, see about finding a piece of steel the same length as the new spring. Then drill and tap that so you can mount that in place of the spring and see if that keeps your match down. The downside of this idea is that you will need to make sure that you don't slam your antenna into things as you drive. It WILL cut down the movement the antenna makes.

Update. This new Hustler SSM-3 barrel spring is a disappointment. It's far to weak for my 7 ft skip shooter and the 102" SS Whip. Both flop around like crazy. I'll be going back to the old heavy duty barrel spring my Dad bought new in 1967.
Even though it's 5/8 of an inch longer, it really does define the definition of "Strength."

Reactions: Eldorado828
Update. This new Hustler SSM-3 barrel spring is a disappointment. It's far to weak for my 7 ft skip shooter and the 102" SS Whip. Both flop around like crazy. I'll be going back to the old heavy duty barrel spring my Dad bought new in 1967.
Even though it's 5/8 of an inch longer, it really does define the definition of "Strength."
Maybe you have a "lemon" spring because I've been using the SSM-3 for at least six years with no problem. Yes, driving above 55MPH will bend the antenna but when I drive above 55MPH, I listen to the radio but do not transmit.

Maybe you have a "lemon" spring because I've been using the SSM-3 for at least six years with no problem. Yes, driving above 55MPH will bend the antenna but when I drive above 55MPH, I listen to the radio but do not transmit.
Maybe it is because when I go around a curve I can see my skip shooter in the mirror leaning way out to the side.
Thanks.

Maybe it is because when I go around a curve I can see my skip shooter in the mirror leaning way out to the side.
Thanks.
OK...then go out and buy a Predator 10K antenna with a 7/8" diameter X 27" long shaft and that will reduce the bending and tilting. Problem solved!
I've used the Predator 10K, 102" stainless whip and six- and seven-foot-long fiberglass whips.
The 102" whip is the most flexible antenna to stow in the bed of my truck. I was concerned about distorting the coil on the Predator antenna if I were to stow it in the bed. Using a 3" inside diameter PVC pipe would have protected the coils.
I'd say you have several suggestions and advice and if you are convinced the 1967 spring is the best, "Go For It"!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.