• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Jersey Passes a No-hands Cellphone law.

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but New Jersey has passed a no-hands cellphone law which has NO exemption for CB radios, but Amateur radio IS exempt. The way it reads, it COULD cause trouble for CBers. I thought everybody should see it.

[Second Reprint]

SENATE, No. 1099

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

212th LEGISLATURE

INTRODUCED JANUARY 26, 2006

Sponsored by:

Senator RICHARD J. CODEY

District 27 (Essex)

Senator JOSEPH A. PALAIA

District 11 (Monmouth)

Assemblyman PAUL D. MORIARTY

District 4 (Camden and Gloucester)

Assemblyman DAVID R. MAYER

District 4 (Camden and Gloucester)

Assemblywoman NILSA CRUZ-PEREZ

District 5 (Camden and Gloucester)

Assemblyman MIMS HACKETT, JR.

District 27 (Essex)

Co-Sponsored by:

Senators McNamara, Scutari, Assemblymen Rumpf, Burzichelli, Scalera, Whelan, Assemblywoman Vainieri Huttle, Assemblyman Schaer, Assemblywoman Stender, Assemblymen Conaway, Conners, Diegnan, Assemblywomen Truitt, Lampitt, Assemblymen P. Barnes, III, Greenwald, Egan, Gordon, McKeon and Johnson

SYNOPSIS

Makes it a primary offense for motorists to talk on or text message with hand-held wireless telephone or electronic communication device while driving.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As reported by the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee on June 14, 2007, with amendments.

An Act concerning the use of wireless telephones 2and electronic communication devices2 in motor vehicles and amending P.L.2003, c.310.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. Section 1 of P.L.2003, c.310 (C.39:4-97.3) is amended to read as follows:

1. a. The use of a wireless telephone 2or electronic communication device2 by an operator of a moving motor vehicle on a public road or highway shall be unlawful except when the telephone is a hands-free wireless telephone 2or the electronic communication device is used hands-free2, provided that its placement does not interfere with the operation of federally required safety equipment and the operator exercises a high degree of caution in the operation of the motor vehicle. 2For the purposes of this section, an “electronic communication device” shall not include an amateur radio.2

b. The operator of a motor vehicle may use a hand-held wireless telephone while driving with one hand on the steering wheel only if:

(1) The operator has reason to fear for his life or safety, or believes that a criminal act may be perpetrated against himself or another person; or

(2) The operator is using the telephone to report to appropriate authorities a fire, a traffic accident, a serious road hazard or medical or hazardous materials emergency, or to report the operator of another motor vehicle who is driving in a reckless, careless or otherwise unsafe manner or who appears to be driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. A hand-held wireless telephone user's telephone records or the testimony or written statements from appropriate authorities receiving such calls shall be deemed sufficient evidence of the existence of all lawful calls made under this paragraph.

As used in this act, "hands-free wireless telephone" means a mobile telephone that has an internal feature or function, or that is equipped with an attachment or addition, whether or not permanently part of such mobile telephone, by which a user engages in a conversation without the use of either hand; provided, however, this definition shall not preclude the use of either hand to activate, deactivate, or initiate a function of the telephone.

"Use" of a wireless telephone 2or electronic communication device2 shall include, but not be limited to, talking or listening to another person on the telephone 2, text messaging, or sending an electronic message via the wireless telephone or electronic communication device2.

c. [Enforcement of this act by State or local law enforcement officers shall be accomplished only as a secondary action when the operator of a motor vehicle has been detained for a violation of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes or another offense] Deleted by amendment, P.L. , c. (2[now]2 pending before the Legislature as this bill).

d. A person who violates this section shall be fined 2[no less than]2 $100 2[or more than $250]2.

e. No motor vehicle points or automobile insurance eligibility points pursuant to section 26 of P.L.1990, c.8 (C.17:33B-14) shall be assessed for this offense.

f. The Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shall develop and undertake a program to notify and inform the public as to the provisions of this act.

g. Whenever this section is used as an alternative offense in a plea agreement to any other offense in Title 39 of the Revised Statutes that would result in the assessment of motor vehicle points, the penalty shall be the same as the penalty for a violation of section 1 of P.L.2000, c.75 (C.39:4-97.2), including the surcharge imposed pursuant to subsection f. of that section, and a conviction under this section shall be considered a conviction under section 1 of P.L.2000, c.75 (C.39:4-97.2) for the purpose of determining subsequent enhanced penalties under that section.

(cf: P.L.2003, c.310, s.1)

22. Section 3 of P.L.2003, c.310 (C.39:4-97.5) is amended to read as follows:

3. This act supersedes and preempts all ordinances of any county or municipality with regard to the use of a wireless telephone or electronic communication device by an operator of a motor vehicle.2

(cf: P.L.2003, c.310, s.3)

2[2] 32. This act shall take effect 1[immediately] on the first day of the fourth month 2[after] following2 enactment1.

I just skimmed the article, so if I missed something, I will just say oops now.

If the only exemption is amateur radio, this also would make it illegal for police, fire, taxi, school bus, gas company, electric company, etc. to use their radios while in motion.... wouldn't it?

What a joke. The problem isn't the cell phone, it is the user. Why punish everyone for the stupidity of a few.

Mopar

mopar2ya said:

If the only exemption is amateur radio, this also would make it illegal for police, fire, taxi, school bus, gas company, electric company, etc. to use their radios while in motion.... wouldn't it?

What a joke. The problem isn't the cell phone, it is the user. Why punish everyone for the stupidity of a few.

Mopar

yes it does but i bet they change it real fast

I think this is one of those watch out cb'ers BS ! Cell phones cause deaths because people are to involved talking to the wife yelling at him to get his ass home and visa versa , Hands free is good to go around here , I've never almost been run of the road by a cb'er , but I can't count how many times I would have liked to have drug a cell phone user out of his or her car and shoved there phones up there asses !!! for not paying attention to what they were doing !! , just the other day I watched a cell phone user run a red light and by the look on his face he never even noticed it because he was so deep into his cell call !! I see these idiots all the time ........This is not a cb radio thing ........it's a freak'in cell phone thing !!

mopar2ya said:

Mopar

I don't know about the school bus or taxi drivas, etc...

but you know these laws don't apply to government folk.

it's a 300.00 fine around here if you get caught talking on one while motoring down the road , I say it's about damned time !! Here's the thing , after all these years I finally got a cell phone (it's more like a freak'in leash) I've use it a few times while in my car ,both phone and hands free , I personally was not comfortable with either one , not the same as my cb I've been using for over 20 years now , I don't get calls from loved ones or my boss wanting something or any other calls like that on my cb , Cb radios, more so then not, are not personal ,cell phones are, which in turn can make for more stressful situation especially when the ole lady is bitching about something or the kid got into some kind of trouble !! are the roads stressful enough without the driviers being full of more as they go down the road from family members and brass asses ? These cell phone laws are way over due !! You cb radio haters out there can give up !! Were not the problem !!

I will make a "joyful noise" when they pass one of the things here! Used to say I wish I had a nickel for every idiot on the road, not any more. Now it's for every idiot with a cell phone plastered to their head! More selective, not to mention making more money that way, especially wrecker services.
- 'Doc

i think the problem is there is many times the number of cell phone users on the road that there are CB'ers etc. That would make the numbers seem higher.I think the law should be written to include ANY type of in-car distraction.I see people driving to work while reading the friggin newspaper! Eating and applying makeup would be the same thing. Had a guy just last month miss the 90 degree turn just up the road because he was messing around with his CD player. I never have a problem with using a cell phone while driving but then again I have enough sense to keep driving as my #1 priority. I have no problem telling the wife or boss to hold on while I drop the phone into the seat beside me if the need arises. Most folks put the phone call as #1 priority. :roll: The real problem as I see it is that the law should apply to any and all distractions not just cell phones.I'll be damned if I will miss a call or pull over in heavy traffic to talk just because some a-hole can't can't keep his eyes on the road while he is driving.

QRN,
The problem with that solution (dropping the phone in the seat) is that sometimes the realization that you need to do that is a bit too late to be a solution. Or maybe I should have said a 'viable' solution?
- 'Doc

Switch Kit is DEAD ON with his assessment of this. Two-way radio has NEVER caused the number of wrecks and incidents that cellphones do, and it is, I think, because of the duplex nature of it that involves the communicant totally and constantly in the activity. Two-way radio is ONE way at a time that gives the person time to digest the information being passed AND drive the vehicle. A couple of days ago I came upon a small pickup at a light. The light changed, but the driver didn't react; he just sat there like a stone. I couldn't see what he was up to (kinda suspected he was involved in a cell call), but he sat there, and sat there and SAT there. Not wishing to get into a situation (road rage---people are just tinderboxes these days), I drove around him. YUP! Cell phone.
I was all the way around him before he realized the light had changed!

I agree with prohibiting hand-held cellphone calls, but not two-way. Unfortunately, the politicians only react to "feel-good" solutions and often punish the innocent in their rush to feel they are "doing" something.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.