• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW KENWOOD TS-990S

It would be cool if Kenwood made USB microphones I just now noticed the USB

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

nice to see they have returned to their more traditional look, all those curves on the latest models looked shit. kenwood always had the best looking radios in my opinion, why they changed them to a modern soppy look is beyond me.

"Some day all radios will have holes in their sides"
black_57_2.jpg

"Beauty is only skin deep"
250px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg

"Some day all radios will have holes in their sides"
black_57_2.jpg

"Beauty is only skin deep"
250px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg

Would be a refreshing change to assHOLES holding their microphones and talking fluent shit through them.

i find personally that beauty isn't the only thing thats skin deep, more often than not on cb radio, the users intelligence level is about that deep too, well thats how it is on ch19 in my city anyway.

Wow.

I'll probably never have one, but still: wow.

I don't think it's a real mechanical meter. They haven't used mechanical meter movements since the TS-940S. It looks like it's just a digitally created image on the main TFT display.

I hope the sub receiver is fully independent. With the TS-950SDX, the sub receiver has several limitations: you can only use it on the same band the main receiver is set to (there is a cheat for this to get it to work anywhere, but the bandpass filters follow the main receiver, so if you put the main RX on 10 meters and the sub receiver on 40 meters, the sub receiver sensitivity will be non-existent), the sub receiver has fewer crystal filtering options than the main one, and the sub receiver doesn't work in AM or FM modes (only SSB and CW).

If the MSRP is ~$5200, it's possible the actual dealer prices will be lower. The MSRP is sometimes an over-optimistic estimate. It's still a hefty price tag.

Still, very exciting news.

-Bill

With the TS-590S being the little brother one can guess that this radio has been designed to exceed it in every way. With Dual Receivers and what looks like built in DVR as well as many other features found on higher priced radios today I agree that most likely Kenwood will pick a price point of round $6,000.00 to sell this radio at. With Yaesu pretty much setting the standard for radios with the FT-5000MP and with it's price point being around $6,000.00 it is pretty safe that Kenwood will target this radio toward the Yaesu FT-5000MP and the Icom 7700 which is in excess of $6,000.00. Then again maybe they think this radio will compete with the 10K radios from the other two. Either way you can bet with the USB jacks on the radio it will have some interesting things to do that will incorporate interfacing with Computers.

The picture may have been 'shopped', but it's a Kenwood advertisement from Kenwood, so that means Kenwood did the 'shopping'. I figure that's as good as anything you will find until it hits the dealer shelves. Big deal.
- 'Doc

I wonder if they will throw a bone to the ESSB crowd, since the 950SDX has been out of production for the last decade. With today's DSP filters it wouldn't be that difficult.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally I do not like the looks of it, everything on the front are buttons, I would rather use a menu for certain things. The second thing the band display is to small to be of much use unless they have it setup for external display which I assume they do and will likely charge extra for it. I will not be buying on and that is odd for me to say since I could now afford it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.