• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bob S.

Oct 28, 2008
Northwestern Otsego, Co., NY.
Hey everybody. I'm new to the site and SWL. I like the looks (and price) of the eton 350DL. I'm interested in aviation, ship to shore, military, etc. as well as the broadcast bands. I'm wondering if the 350 will receive these transmissions. Any info is appreciated.

hi bob and welcome. dont really know what freqs. the eaton radio covers but you could go to somewhere like, universal-radio.com or hamradio.com and look. these places sell these radios and generaly give the specs on them. the c crane store. GRUNDIG has got a new listening radio out called the SATELLIT 750 for 300$ that looks really nice. good luck.

I'm assuming that's the S350DL by Eton. Seems to cover AMBC, FMBC, and for SWLs it covers from 2.9 to 27.4 MHz continuously. Barely covers 11 meters but not ten meters; has no BFO so no SSB or CW (at least easily). Doesn't go into the VHF Air Band at all, nor Marine Band.

Yeah, if you're interested in aviation, ship to shore, etc., that unit isn't the one for you. The marine band is up around 150mhz (a little higher, actually).

Thanks for the welcome and all the help. I'd love to own the satellite, but don't want to spend quite that much on my first radio. Now that I have a better idea of what I need, finding a radio is going to be a lot easier. A friend actually suggested buying a scanner and programing it for the freqs. I mentioned. Don't know if this is possible or not. Thanks again.

For what it's worth, aviation and maritime ops are found in the HF band. Transatlantic flights can be heard by listening to Gander and Shanwick ATC, and oceangoing commercial shipping uses HF frequencies.

But most of that stuff is SSB, so the 350 won't do the job.

I would suggest looking for a used desktop RX, like an Icom R75 or a Drake R8. Or, many if not most Ham HF rigs have general coverage receivers. Nothing wrong with using one of those for listening to HF broadcasters or aviation/maritime/ulility stations. Then, if the bug bites you and you decide to go Ham, you're all set for HF!

It is a simple matter to make a nice wire antenna for HF, so don't assume you have to limit yourself as far as antennas go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.