• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Microphone Driver Extreme DX656

I can guarantee that there are thousands of these mics sitting in the warehouse. The manner that the manufacturer was distributing them has been working against them in the long run. As such, their marketing strategy will change in the near future.

Groundwire: What exactly do you base your comments on? They are quite contrary to my experiences with the product. Would you mind sharing your specifics?

Even on the less than controlled "review" conducted on YouTube, the person conducting the test specifically noted that the mic did NOT suffer from sibilance / sounding "spitty" or having an upper midrange spike. That sibilance was heard on other mic's though using identical microphone technique. In fact, most noted that the DX656 was slightly warm / thicker sounding in stock form with the mid's opening up after the entire foam damping material "donut" was removed.

As I've previously noted, one can fine tune the tonal balance by simply "trimming to tune" that damping material to vary the quantity within the mic cavity itself.

Handy Andy: Vendor's can retail the product at whatever they can get out of it. That's up to them. Customers are either going to accept that price & purchase the product or they won't. I don't know what the circumstances were of that specific purchase, but I do agree that $75 is kind of stiff.

Who's waffling about anything?

I was contracted to design this mic and a few other products for the Driver Extreme product line. I have also done some design work & consultation for the ProComm Line too. If we are doing "full disclosure" here, I've done the same for Ranger, Galaxy, Cobra, Astatic, Wilson, Francis, Workman, Bosch (when they owned "Turner-Telex"), Wireless Marketing, etc.... and multiple other RF brands / product lines. I still have all of the original Wilson "Production line standards" that were used for build & test references when they were last made here in America.

I'm currently working on a cellular product line that will be going into Europe, Canada & 13 countries in Africa. One distributor is looking at taking appr 10,000 pieces of this line per month here in the U.S. once production is finalized. This is besides the OEM work that I've done & am doing for other international manufacturers outside of our little "RF world".

Having said that, I don't make any more OR any less if these products sell or don't sell. Given that this specific product is somewhat "my baby" though, I don't like to see misinformation spread about it. This is a good product & they will stand behind it. I'm glad that "Handy Andy" realized that the mic was not the issue with the radio system he had previously worked on & clarified that. He's always been a good & helpful source of info on the net, even going back 20+ years.

As to sitting in a warehouse, much of this has to do with supply lines, the lack of "manpower" along the distribution & retail chains, etc.... I know that there are display cases, products & inventory sitting in a multitude of different retail areas waiting to be put on the floor. All beyond the control of the manufacturer.

Nothing to hide. Always willing to help. Not giving away trade secrets though :)

As to sitting in a warehouse, much of this has to do with supply lines, the lack of "manpower" along the distribution

The thing I took issue with is the post that indicated that ProCom was sitting on them to keep the cost up, that was my Waffle comment because it seems it changed a bit from that first post.
So, now that we are aware of who you are it helps " clarify " what's up.
It eluded to something along these lines as you have been a member here for over a year and have only posted on this subject and nothing else.
There might be a few questions from others about ProCom and the Antron 99 that has had a rocky past after shortening the antenna.
I will say thank you for the answer.

Jeff

I have been a member here pretty much since it started if I recall correctly. I had joined back when we were still using Newsgroups & Rec Radio CB was the hottest group on the net.

I have had issues trying to log on for MANY YEARS. After multitudes of repeated attempts over the years to get this sorted out, I pretty much gave up. After mentioning this to someone in specific a month or two back, they helped me to finally get things all sorted out.

As to the PT99 & the A99, even though they look nearly identical from the outside, they are two completely different antennas as far as the matching network & efficiency goes. The PT99 is a newer, slightly lower loss version that was originally designed by Will Emery. Will was a former Engineer at Solarcon & Tencom, which are both still owned & operated by Robert.

I have done some upgrades to the PT99 to further increase efficiency & make the antenna more marketable internationally, but other than that, it is what it is. As to the A99, that's another product from another manufacturer. As mentioned, they may look alike, but they are quite different electrically.

It would be nice to just find one to buy rather than to find no availability.... what good is it to advertise a mic that is unobtainable.

I have ZERO to do with marketing of this product. Having said that, I do know that they are available. All it took was a couple of phone calls to a few dealers that are listed on their website.

Some of these vendors are NOT CB shops. As such, if you call with a part number, they may be better able to help you.

The mic is a DX656. The factory part number is a DRX656/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.