• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New mods for 980's

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
Any thing new out for these radios? Swing kit, final upgrades(more watts), echo install .......or web sites to look at new info?

President Grant 2

Don't know about the echo and swing kits but its definitely a step up. I didn't know it was a souped up 980 until a few days ago myself. Thank you Camaro1 for the info. Hello UK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Grant Wireless Mic

Even has a wireless mic that you can buy like the 980... Not available in the states yet but a dealer from the UK shouldn't be too hard to find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 14
Already knew about the grant ll, and lincoln ll. I was asking about a (980) i guess answer is a NO! Thx

The 980 is a pretty tough radio to modify, altho I have been able to modify mine for extra frequencies. Haven't had the time to dive into the final area of it yet or do any swing mods, but I'm sure I could figure something out in that avenue. I just need time, and time is something that I have little of, sadly. :(

~Cheers~

Far better to add an external linear than start butchering finals to get them to do what they were never designed to. At best you can double, triple the power but to get any worthwhile noticeable increase you need to be looking to at least tenfold.

Already knew about the grant ll, and lincoln ll. I was asking about a (980) i guess answer is a NO! Thx

Can't remember the guys name but I found it through google. There is a you tube video called "980 cracked" take it with a grain of salt though its more comical than anything else. It's about 20 minutes long the best I can remember. He destroys 2 980's trying to do frequency mods.

It is comical, I watched the video. If he really understood theory of how frequencies are mixed, he'd have done what I did long ago with the 980, and just swapped out the 10.2417 crystal with a 10.6917 crystal to get 27.415 - 27.855. It's not rocket science. :p

~Cheers~

Reactions: 4 people
It is comical, I watched the video. If he really understood theory of how frequencies are mixed, he'd have done what I did long ago with the 980, and just swapped out the 10.2417 crystal with a 10.6917 crystal to get 27.415 - 27.855. It's not rocket science. :p

~Cheers~

Exactly what i'd do for any US radio i wanted to work on high band,as you say it ain't rocket science, i'm sure if it can do that then you could fit a crystal switch board and use a few broadbanding tricks if necessary to cover more than one band on it, dropping the crystal 450 khz will take it too low band, just realign and off you go. dropping 900 khz will take you down to cover 26.285.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?