• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New mount changes SWR.

Mar 20, 2012
Replaced aluminum bracket and chrome stud of unknown material along with "metal strapping" - bonding strap, on a stainless mirror bracket, with:

Stainless bracket and stud along with braided bonding strap.

This resulted in higher SWR of .6 right across the channels:
Ch. 1: 1.1:1 to 1.7:1
Ch 40: 1.7:1 to 2.3:1

I'm scared of cutting the whip too short and wondering if I need to double check something else before I cut it.

If you change anything with an antenna you can expect something in it's behavior or characteristics to also change. That's normal. To have to re-tune an antenna after doing that sort of 'change' is also normal. So, it sounds like you're in the same boat as the rest of us.
I think I'd be a bit careful about 'trimming' your antenna too, it isn't very hard to go too far. Of course, it depends on the antenna, what 'type' it is and how you do that adjusting. But, from the information you've posted, it ~looks~ like shortening the thing is what's required. Just be careful and take 'nibble' the thing, don't take big 'bites'.
- 'Doc

if was me id put the other ground sprap back on .imho i think a soild wire is better
than a braided or stranded. again just mho. then see if swr changes if not then
i gotta ask is our coil portion of the antenna above the cab?if not you,ll need a longer
shaft [ this is reccommended by wilson] after raising coil above cab recheck swr again
if its still high then cut only 1/8 inch off the bottom .swr of 1.5 or less is good

Reactions: 1 person
Getting the coil up as high as reasonable will give good tuning benefits.

I ran the Wilson 2,000 with 18in. bottom shaft mounted on Peterbilt 379 mirrors.

I run my Predator 10K with a 22in. bottom shaft on the 4 Runner, tunes real nice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.