• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar 225

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
I was looking at h and y electronics and i found that palomar 225's are made today, i said in another thread i thought they weren't. Would this be a good amp. If so how many watts could you expect to see out of it. I also want to now about the bulletproof 250's i hear they are better amps but i don't know where to buy one.

Yeah, I saw that H&Y has them. Almost bought one from them myself a couple of months ago. Instead, I found a used Texas Star DX 350 for $130. The nice thing about that 225 amp, is that it uses a pair of 1446 transistors - if I remember correctly. Excellent for SSB.

There are a lot of amps for sale thru this forum.
Probably buy more amp power for less money here.
Just a thought...

Do you have a power supply yet for a base operation?
Or are you going to use the amp that you get in your mobile setup?

be careful which version you buy . i dont see a palomar amp at H&Y but the are the same folks as coppers and coppers used to have a palomar 225 , but its was the worst version . no ab biasing or filtering , just a class c with a pair of 455's i believe . ALA has a version with 2290's in it , havnt read any comments on it though . the galaxy 350 is the big brother to the 225 , ab biasing , filtering , autoswitching ssb , but it uses a pair of 2879's . tough luck has a cobra 450 in the for sale section . its the 4 pill grandaddy of these amps . a cobra 500 or messenger 450 would be the modern day versions of it .

I have a 20 amp power supply which won't power that much but it was given to me. if i need more power i will use a 12v battery that is like twice the size of a regular one. Then i'll just charge it every week or so. Thanks for the reply!(y)

Every week? A battery in the house is the worst way to power an amplifier. Even with a small amp you would drain the battery in 2 good hours of talking.

Check out the ALA site, they sell the Bulletproof line or at least they used to.

Hey nat, I have a texas star 350hdv you might be intersted in. Its very clean and works great. Plus you can dial it down to suit your power supply, so when you get a bigger PS you can let her rip.

I also have a texas star 500v like new in box, but that might be a bit more than your looking for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.