• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar 225

nat19

Nov 18, 2009
West Virginia
I was looking at h and y electronics and i found that palomar 225's are made today, i said in another thread i thought they weren't. Would this be a good amp. If so how many watts could you expect to see out of it. I also want to now about the bulletproof 250's i hear they are better amps but i don't know where to buy one.

Yeah, I saw that H&Y has them. Almost bought one from them myself a couple of months ago. Instead, I found a used Texas Star DX 350 for $130. The nice thing about that 225 amp, is that it uses a pair of 1446 transistors - if I remember correctly. Excellent for SSB.

There are a lot of amps for sale thru this forum.
Probably buy more amp power for less money here.
Just a thought...

Do you have a power supply yet for a base operation?
Or are you going to use the amp that you get in your mobile setup?

be careful which version you buy . i dont see a palomar amp at H&Y but the are the same folks as coppers and coppers used to have a palomar 225 , but its was the worst version . no ab biasing or filtering , just a class c with a pair of 455's i believe . ALA has a version with 2290's in it , havnt read any comments on it though . the galaxy 350 is the big brother to the 225 , ab biasing , filtering , autoswitching ssb , but it uses a pair of 2879's . tough luck has a cobra 450 in the for sale section . its the 4 pill grandaddy of these amps . a cobra 500 or messenger 450 would be the modern day versions of it .

I have a 20 amp power supply which won't power that much but it was given to me. if i need more power i will use a 12v battery that is like twice the size of a regular one. Then i'll just charge it every week or so. Thanks for the reply!(y)

Every week? A battery in the house is the worst way to power an amplifier. Even with a small amp you would drain the battery in 2 good hours of talking.

Check out the ALA site, they sell the Bulletproof line or at least they used to.

Hey nat, I have a texas star 350hdv you might be intersted in. Its very clean and works great. Plus you can dial it down to suit your power supply, so when you get a bigger PS you can let her rip.

I also have a texas star 500v like new in box, but that might be a bit more than your looking for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned