• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New purchase maybe

barefootindian

Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2012
Leinster Ireland
Hi folks, I'm thinking of getting the a Magnum S45HP shortly. When I read Magnums PDF download for the expanded mode, it refers to pressing the CALL button to activate certain functions. Now Please excuse my ignorance on this one, but does that mean that I should Key the mike (press the call button)??? Have I just answered my own question..... Also when it says about a shunt button to move to get to Expanded mode, is this a button?? and therefore should be easy enough to do or is it going to require jumping and shorting the posts which will scare me as I wouldn't wish to mess up the radio and find that I'd wasted my money....Answers Please and Thank-you

Each time you hit the call button it will go through the 12 bands of 40 channels, A,B,C,D and so on. When you hit function and then call it switched between freq counter and channel number display.

The Omega is much like a 2950/70, complex radio that once you get it read the manual. Any version of Omegaforce is a kick butt radio. If you can find a new one I hope it is not one from the batch that had issues.

The shunt button you're thinking of is probably the little jumpers inside on a separate board that allow you to pick what frequencies you want to run. You can choose from CON which is 10 meter only, CON 2 which is 10 meter plus you have to push 2 buttons to get it to 11 meters, CON 3 which does all of the band from 26.5 (I think) to 29.7 (I think) but doesn't allow you to work 10 meter repeaters, or if you just want to stay on the CB portion (like no one does) you pick CON 4.

In the beginning all of the Magnum S45's as well as the 257's came with the jumpers. However some radios recently began coming out of the factory with the shunts cut off flush with the board in an attempt (guessing from the FCC) to keep people from easily converting them to run on the 11 meter citizens band, since they do not meet FCC standards, plus they do more than 4 watts of power, and can cover multiple frequencies outside of 26.965 and 27.405 MHz. Then again I see you're in Ireland so maybe things are different.

But even with the posts cut down to the board, it's nothing a little blob of solder can't fix. But yes all the jumpers are, are 4 sets of little posts that stick up that essentially have a piece of wire ran across the posts. With the posts trimmed down, you'll have to pick up the solder iron and some solder to connect the posts.

It's really easy to do the mod, but if you don't feel comfortable, you'll have to find someone who is.

Thanks 9c1Driver and Turbo t, that information will be a big help to me. I never thought about the con posts being just flush with the board but as you say it can be fixed wih a little solder if need be. As for the call button ,well I got a picture of the radio and saw that it does have one on the front marked call, so I suppose its just following the instructions AND yes reading the manual thoroughly!!! Thanks again for your replies folks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.