• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Radio, Need New Antenna

wilson 5000

good choice i likew the wilson it performs good. i fyour gona put a new pl-259 on i would up grade the coax aswell

I can't wait to get it! I'll probably run it right out of the box for now because I'm so anxious to get back on the air. Right now I don't have any antenna to use for my radio. I sold the K40 I had so I could get something better.

a side from mo pwr, is the wilson 5000 any better than the 1000. i need a permanent ant. for the long nose. 102" is not practical for my daily driver. been looking at the 10k's too. but i have 3 wilson's and so far they have been the most dependable and practical for an urban soldier who can still skid a stall.

The Wilson 5000 will handle more power and does have a little larger bandwidth due to the larger diameter coil.

It also has a larger wind area (probably not a problem) and does put more strain on the mount (also not an issue probably).

If you are running less than 1000 watts and operate between 1 and 40, stick with the 1000. I run this on my van. I run a 5000 on my Suburban.

Some day in the future I'll buy a P10K and an adapter so I can test the 5000 against the Predator and see if what I believe is true.

Rockytherotty said:
Hello all! This is my first post and I have a question. I am just getting back into this and have bought myself a new radio and now I need a antenna. I just bought a General Lee from Radioactive and am having it all tuned up by them. I am going to put this one in my Jeep Cherokee and I'm trying to figure out what to use for a antenna. I was tryinmg to decide between a Wilson 5000 magnetic mount or a 102" whip mounted to the side of the body. I am kinda leaning towards the Wilson due to the size of the whip. Is this a good choice? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

I'll recommend (and it sounds goofy) the Valor "Big Bubba". It uses the same mount as the Wilson 1000, it has a longer whip and you don't have to cut it down like the 1000, and it has the capibility to fold over. The best part is that it performs well, and in fact, did better than the Wilson 1000 when I tested them side-by-side. I think my review is on my website under "reviews" -
http://www.cbgazette.com/gaz2.html

From 1984-1994/5 I would only use the 1000. I've used the BB ever since. My two cents -

-TSG

Mr Clean said:
You will love it! Change the coax connector to a regular one or have it done. The stock one screws on and is OK but I alway change mine so it don't come loose.

I am not sure what you mean. Is the stock connector not a "regular one?" What is the difference between the stock connector and a regular one?

wilson antenna

the pl259 the comes on the wilson is a twon peices it looks like a vhf connector with a pl259 adapter on it they are not realy and good plus the stock coax is beat too, i just realce the coax and the pl259 with rg8x and brand new pl-259 it lets better feedlin and their is less loss in it if u run any kinda power

Re: wilson antenna

2at124 said:
the pl259 that comes on the wilson is in two pieces; it looks like a vhf connector with a pl259 adapter on it; they are not really any good -- plus the stock coax is beat too; i just replaced the coax and the pl259 with rg8x and brand new pl-259; it lets better feed in and there is less loss in it if u run any kinda power

Thanks, I understand. I have a Wilson 1000 on order. Does it also have the two piece connector like the W-5000?

Is Radio Shack a good source for the RG-8?

Any problems with rainwater or wind noise when routing the larger diameter RG-8 (0.4" O.D. vs. 0.2" O.D. for RG-58) past the door gasket from a mag mount?

wilson

yes it does . most radio shack carry the rg-8 get 18ft of it and 1 pl259 the antenna comes apart easy youll hav eto drill the hole out were the coax goes into the black cover on to the magnet to a largeer hole to be able to get the rg-8 cable in it

i have a wilson 1000 mag mount on my wifes hyundai ihav eneve had any water leaks around the weather stripin you'll be fine

Re: wilson

2at124 said:
yes it does . most radio shack carry the rg-8 get 18ft of it and 1 pl259 the antenna comes apart easy youll hav eto drill the hole out were the coax goes into the black cover on to the magnet to a largeer hole to be able to get the rg-8 cable in it

i have a wilson 1000 mag mount on my wifes hyundai ihav eneve had any water leaks around the weather stripin you'll be fine

OK. Thanks. No power issues -- only running Cobra 148 GTL -- but this mod should help anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.