• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Radio Squeals With Hand Mic Only ??

Thanks guys. I'll double check what I found......it does appear that the yellow/blue have been reversed. Would be an easy swap to try it.

SAGA OVER folks.

Mostly thanks to our buddy HOTROD out there.

See...eh...er...ummm...I thought the double clarifier control was COURSE/FINE like it it on my Galaxy. Not so...as Hotrod points out, the AMT control on same knob with the Clarifier is Adjustable Talkback. So I had this thing up at the 12 O' Clock position thinking that was where it need to be. So that had the talkback up way high. Put the hand mic back on. Still squealed but much less.....so I cut the mic gain back to about 12 OC and there ya go.....no squeal and modulates extremely well.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense seeing as both of the power desk mics I had on the thing were not squealing even with the talkback turned up and the mic gain wide open.

So there she ends. You never know how a particular mic is going to perform on a particular radio until you stick it on there and try it out at all adjustment positions.

Good experience for everyone perhaps....sure was for me! You guys are too good. Take a bow
worship.gif

interview.gif

Okay next finding......

The rig is modulating to full advertised power....and very easily...with the hand mic, but does not reach the full easy swing using the alternate mic jack with the desk mics.

What the hey?

Easter Egg Hunt:
Take the stock mic and open it up. You will find a circuit board inside that amps the condenser mic element. Turn the pot on that board all of the way open. Use your radio to see where it is going, so you will need to plug it in. More radio mfr's should include a REALLY good power mic with their radios - as RF Limited did with the Magnum OF. This is really a fantastic mic when that is done. Best stock power condenser mic I own; the reports on it have been voluntary/unsolicited with lots of compliments.

But this radio sounds HUGE with a D104/TUP9-TUG8. I use the TUP9 on mine most of the time. With the TopGun Modulator on, the D104 set at 2/3 up in the mic, and the mic gain on the radio at its umber 5 position. Echo delay set at number 4 position; echo volume set at 2 1/2. Digital echo is extreme! Everybody tells me that is sounds huge - even my skip contacts. I usually run my RF Output at 3 1/2 for SSB. I set it at 1 for AM and let it 'swiiinnngg' upwards to 50 watts. Those are the sweet spot on my radio.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob, gosh it gots tons of audio as it is but may try that.

SonW maybe it's just something they changed as a later edition and as they went along.

Yep the Turbo Digital Echo is off the scale. Endless repeat and change the pitch while its repeating.

Lordy lordy if I could only go back in time and have a radio like this back in the '70's....would have been crowned King of Atlanta of the spot
pop.gif
4869.gif

Next up, the large heat sink on back is very efficient at pulling the heat away from the finals and can get pretty hot quickly. I have the radio sitting up on about a 3" high small box to get it up off the desk and to let air flow under the sink. Have placed a 4" 12v box fan under it and have it running down on 8volts with a typical 7808 8v regulator. Moves plenty of air on 8 volts and is significantly quieter than running full speed off of the power supply which is set at 14.0 volts.

If the ERF2030's should fail, I understand that the EKL/IRF520N's are a direct replacement. Considering the fact that the IRF's are rated at 60 watts/ea instead of 25 watts/ea like the ERF's. It could be very interesting to see how much it will put out. Conceivable 120 watts - by the way they are configured on the board. If that is possible; then the stock heat sink will have to give way to a much better unit. It will surely need a really nice heat sink to handle that extra power. I am contemplating changing over to the IRF520N's. In the mean time, I will buy three for the sum of only $3. If it only provides an extra 10 watts and has a lot of headroom; it may run cooler. I need some input to these thoughts...

magnum

My experience, and I've been in quite a few of these, is just the opposite. The EKL parts seem to always give more wattage than the 520's. I only use them in the magnum radios, because then I know what I'm getting. The 520's have about 6-8 different manufacturers and aren't all the same. I haven't found any of them to be as consistent as the EKL mosfets either. The ocsiliscope seems happier too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.