• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ranger 2950dx D6

Ranger
If you are listening

Bring something New to the table.
Jeff
If Ranger had more than 2 functioning brain cells after 15 years or more of me harping on them they would have built what I want!

Shrink the RCI2950 with current face down to the size of the old President Lincoln with current control style with no new menus. Make the face plate remote mountable, add 6m, DSP, eSSB, built in compression and a functional USB port that allows for SDR type interface from a computer with added deep menu options and the like. Bring it to market at $300 or less and watch them fly off the shelf as fast as they can make them!

In fact amateurs would snatch them up so fast and be secretly talking on them just like they do with the 2650. They would still bad mouth them though on the internet just like they do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I have 4 2970N2's here and none of them have them. Do you know if it is a direct replacement? All my 2970N2's have the IRF520's in them. Thanks
Prob. an existing transistor that they had put into a slightly different package. RCI does not design or build their own transistors!

The newer edition are a lot easier to read the LCD compared to the older models I have a pristine 2005 model which I bought in
The USA brand new still works great
The original one I owned made in Taiwan from 1991 was going strong all the way up until it was stolen from me. The orange and black displace never gave me any grief reading it.In 1998 it needed a a new SSB crystal filter and a new voltage regulator. It was used every day in my daily driver that entire time. I am sure that if it had not been stolen I would still have it and it would still work.

and it still has hashy receiver. I can't stand that noise,
As I understand it that is easy to fix. I have not done one so take this as heresy at best. I agree with you ever since the 2950DX came out it has had terribly noisy receive and the encoder on the front has continued to get cheaper and cheaper feeling as well!

You know what I always say vote with your wallet. Stop buying the radio's and maybe they will listen. Sadly they will listen to the idiots that like the Stryker 995 and think it's user interface is fantastic in a mobile! Just like cooperate America listens to the wrong people soo too will Ranger.

I have not bought a new radio since 1998 only used! Why? Because no one builds a new radio I actually want to buy. I would rather buy an old radio and have to rebuild it and have what I want than give money to companies that will not build what I want to buy.

As long as ignorant people with more money than brains are satisfied with garbage they are turning out and keep buying nothing will change! They only changes we get are those changes that suite the manufacture in the form of ever cheaper to produce designs.

If Ranger had more than 2 functioning brain cells after 15 years or more of me harping on them they would have built what I want!

Shrink the RCI2950 with current face down to the size of the old President Lincoln with current control style with no new menus. Make the face plate remote mountable, add 6m, DSP, eSSB, built in compression and a functional USB port that allows for SDR type interface from a computer with added deep menu options and the like. Bring it to market at $300 or less and watch them fly off the shelf as fast as they can make them!

In fact amateurs would snatch them up so fast and be secretly talking on them just like they do with the 2650. They would still bad mouth them though on the internet just like they do now.

That’d be fantastic to own!!

By the time your done going through menu's and adjusting the audio on your "ham" rig which just sounds stupid any radio an amateur radio operator is using is a "ham or amateur" rig the pile up will have already sorted itself out.

My President Lincoln from 1998 with my Ten-Tec 715 can bust a pile up faster than most people and even think about adjusting a complicated high end radio marketed towards amateur's as a 'legit" radio.

If I need to hammer nails into a wall to hang a picture a $20 hammer will get the job done just fine and while cheap is the best tool for the job. By the time I get a high speed dryway screw gun out I could have already had the picture hung.

Trust me I am not fan of the modern cheap as can be made RCI2950 but as a tool for 10m, 11m and 12m use it is an acceptable tool and for each weakness it also has strengths. It will never be an Icom or Yaesu but you can buy one new for $295 or less right now as I speak. It is not hard to improve on them either. Show me a proper dual band Icom or Yaesu mobile or base that you can buy new right now for $295 or less.
So what is it you're really trying to say?

Many of us drivers should probably bite the bullet and get a real HF transceiver! I believe the only thing holding many of us back is the want/need for that BIG strapping AM audio! That in a nutshell is my deal.........
Someday maybe I'll grow up.........LOL!

JD

I been playing radio for a lot of years, had my ham ticket since 94
Some guys are just not going to be happy with a all band all mode rig if the primary focus is AM on the CB band.
They find the rx is narrow, AM audio is restricted and the radio is just too busy for someone that has no interest in SSB or HF operation.

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?