• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Rig choices???

Which Rig?

• IC-7000

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Yaesu 857D

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Yaesu 897D

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Kenwood TS 480SAT

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Kenwood TS 480HX

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

Redeye

Oct 8, 2009
South 'Bama
Ok, set to take my Tech/Gen in a couple of weeks, so now I'm moving on to the next step...which Rig?

I'm looking for a mobil setup first, then later a base. Here is what I have more or less narrowed it down to in no particular order...

ICOM IC-7000
Yaesu 857D or 897D
Kenwood TS-480HX/SAT

Also, any preference on a mobile antenna and coax?

Thanks for your advice!

Scott

Having owned all three, I voted for the IC-7000.

It has all the filtering included and TCXO, which is extra on the others except the 897D.

7000, 857, and 480 all can be remote mounted.

In MY opinion the 897 is to big for mobile.

I like all in one, the 480 does HF-6 only :sad:

The 480HX does 200 watts, just make sure you have an alternator that can handle it and antennas rated for 200 watt or more.

The 857 is a decent radio and they offer the ATAS 120A which if a person REALLY wanted to, they could buy a duplexer and use that antenna from 40 meter to 70 centimeter. Antennas are ALWAYS a compromise when mobile, more so with the ATAS on 2 meter and 70 centimeter. So if you are not close to your repeater, it gets to be a pain in the ass. I had three of the ATAS 120A's. I bought one and the other two were warranty replacements. If the Farmer's Almanac would even predict rain the antenna would stop working for me! I finally let my dog use the antenna as a play toy! Using that antenna you CAN NOT TX below 40 meter. Which, if you ask me, anything below 40 in a car is useless anyhow.

The Icom 7000 I had worked great mobile, I used a High Sierra Motorized antenna, went to their website the other day and you can no longer buy them :confused:

I also had to have a second antenna for 2 meter 70 centimeter, I picked a Comet SBB-7. Still have the antenna and it works great. I finally switched to a Little Tarheel II Motorized Antenna for HF-6 because it was a little slimmer and looked better in my opinion. I used a N2VZ Turbo Tuner so I could just hit the tune button on the radio and it would adjust the HF antenna to the best SWR without any other input from me, IMPORTANT WHILE DRIVING! I believe because of the economy though, N2VZ is having some problems "completing an order", not sure though.

The main reason I got rid of the 7000 was because as a Jeep owner, I felt ok with the hard top on, but when the soft top is on, theft is to easy.

One last thing to consider, get the size specs on the remote head of each unit, cut a piece of cardboard that size and sit in your vehicle a decide where you are going to mount it. I had my 7000 on the top of the dash so it was easy to see, for thieves too! The problem was when the sun beats down on it while it is parked, turned the digital screen black until the A/C cooled the vehicle off. I do not know if that could hurt it, but deep down I felt that it would so I moved it.

On a side not, there is a company out there, lido mounts, I myself had bad luck with these people, they sold me a mount that was missing parts in the box, I called them once and they promised to call me back to resolve the issue, they NEVER DID so I called them and they must have caller I.D. because they would not answer the phone. I called from another number with a different area code, they answered and found out who I was and hung up. FUCK THEM is how I feel about them.

I hope all that helped.

I would have chosen the Kenwood TS-2000 of you wanted ALL of the frequencies and had it on the poll. It can also be easily modded for 220mhz if that floats yer boat. Same price new/used for the IC-7000 as it is for the TS-2000. Maybe a bit larger than the Icom; but so what?

The guy who sells High Sierra isn't customer friendly. Bit of a pill to say the least; maybe he hung the business up? Local guy here has one, and he is ambivalent about it. It doesn't work very well from what I can hear on my end for the distance used - IMO.

Thanks for the advice! Well, now I'm leaning towards either the IC-7000 or the 857D. The radio will be mounted on a pedestal mount next to the center console. It has an a/c vent pointed right at it for cooling. Lets see, the 857D is cheaper, thus allowing more $ towards a base. The IC-7000 though could actually double as my mobile and base for its price though. Hmmmm :unsure:

As for coax, would RG8/8x suffice? Regarding antenna's, I do like the all-in-one ATAS-120a for starters for the 857D. What about with the IC-7000? Jetstream? Diamond? Would prefer not too big and noticeable (going on a 4 door sedan).

:confused:

My vote also goes to the IC-7000. I picked up a PS-125 power supply and used mine on the base. Some people also pick up a 9" monitor and hook up to them to make the display easier to see, but I never had a problem viewing mine.

Thanks for the advice! Well, now I'm leaning towards either the IC-7000 or the 857D. The radio will be mounted on a pedestal mount next to the center console. It has an a/c vent pointed right at it for cooling. Lets see, the 857D is cheaper, thus allowing more $ towards a base. The IC-7000 though could actually double as my mobile and base for its price though. Hmmmm :unsure:

As for coax, would RG8/8x suffice? Regarding antenna's, I do like the all-in-one ATAS-120a for starters for the 857D. What about with the IC-7000? Jetstream? Diamond? Would prefer not too big and noticeable (going on a 4 door sedan).

:confused:

Well, decided to add the 897D back in the mix after checking the measurements on it. Found it will work on my pedestal mount easily (currently running a 2970N2 on it). So, now I'm basically looking at either the IC-7000 or 897D. :unsure: eham reviews give the 7000 4.4/5.0 (276 reviews) and the 897D 4.6/5.0 (300 reviews).

Have you given any consideration to an HF only rig for the base? That will open up your poll / search to more options.

Well, decided to add the 897D back in the mix after checking the measurements on it. Found it will work on my pedestal mount easily (currently running a 2970N2 on it). So, now I'm basically looking at either the IC-7000 or 897D. :unsure: eham reviews give the 7000 4.4/5.0 (276 reviews) and the 897D 4.6/5.0 (300 reviews).

I have both of those rigs. I couldn't imagine using the 897D mobile. The display is just too small to see while driving.

I second Mole with regards to the display. I've used the 897 and it is just too small to use mobile and many things that you may normally use are hidden deep in menus, way more so than the Icom 7000. Personally I find the display on the857 too small too. Knave good eyesight too. The display on the old FT 100was good and about as small as I'd want to go or a mobile. I have used any of the Kenwood offering but from a display point of view I'd say they'd work well mobile.

It's going in a 2005 Mercedes C230. Currently been running an RCI 2970N2 on a pedestal mount with a Wilson 5000 mounted on the center of the trunk lid (hole drilled and grounded).

Yeah, this is a tough call. I'm going with the mobil "all mode" radio setup first since I do a lot of driving. Later will be the base. Keep in mind that this is my first HAM gear, so it obviously doesn't have to be the best. I can always update, replace and improve on later.

I "was" leaning towards the FT-897D, ATAS-120a (with a comet cf-530 or cf-706a duplexer)?:unsure:

If I were to go with the IC-7000, what mobil antenna? Duplexer? :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on the display size in a mobil!

Last edited:
If you get the IC 7000, you can use a Screwdriver antenna for HF and a dual band (VHF/UHF) mobile antenna. The 7000 has separate connections for HF/ and VHF/UHF, no duplexer needed. If size is an issue for mobile HF, the best bang for the buck in screwdriver antennas where you cannot or do not want a full sized screwdriver antenna, has to be the Little Tarheel II antenna. I have one on a big diesel rig (mounted on a mirror mount) that works fine with my Kenwood 480SAT. And I use
a full sized Tarheel 100a on my pickup. The Little Tarheel II is very good for what it is but, you will notice the performance difference between it and the full sized antenna. You can improve it some by getting the 56" whip instead of the 32" whip it comes with. The 7000 is hard to beat. Most of the things that require going into the Menus are set & forget type of things. Not something you'd be changing often.
Be aware that the 7000 runs HOT. Not so hot that you cannot touch it, but, it feels hotter than my 480SAT. Well, there is a ton of stuff in a small package compared to the 480SAT. And even as hot as it is, (the entire case is a heatsink) it is well within design specs.
Good luck on your choice and hope to hear you on the air one of these days.
Mobile HF is really a blast.........even after 35 years!!
james
AKA: trucker

It's going in a 2005 Mercedes C230. Currently been running an RCI 2970N2 on a pedestal mount with a Wilson 5000 mounted on the center of the trunk lid (hole drilled and grounded).

Yeah, this is a tough call. I'm going with the mobil "all mode" radio setup first since I do a lot of driving. Later will be the base. Keep in mind that this is my first HAM gear, so it obviously doesn't have to be the best. I can always update, replace and improve on later.

I "was" leaning towards the FT-897D, ATAS-120a (with a comet cf-530 or cf-706a duplexer)?:unsure:

If I were to go with the IC-7000, what mobil antenna? Duplexer? :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on the display size in a mobil!

The CF-706A is what i used and it worked great. Remember, the only reason you need the duplexer is to use only 1 antenna, the ATAS 120A. Yeah the 857/897 has a separate HF/6 and VHF/UHF connector so you can run two antennas if you wish.

An FYI, the ATAS antenna uses a UHF connector (SO-239) so you will need a mount similar to this

uhfso239.jpg

If you go with the 7000, no external duplexer is needed because you will need two antennas. If you go with the Tarheel II, you can use the 3/8 24 antenna mount you have your wilson 5000 on, then you buy a lip mount for a VHF/UHF antenna and your golden

Another idea, if you buy the FT-897, and buy the LDG AT-897 tuner, you can tune that Wilson 5000 from maybe 6-20 meter, MAYBE. But atleast you will have an antenna tuner as well if you bring the radio in the house. You can even buy maybe a 40 meter ham stick and use the tuner to tune other bands. MAYBE.

DO NOT BUY the Yaesu FC-30 Antenna Tuner for the 897, you will hate life and that tuner.

Thanks everyone for your wealth of information! I'll shop around, compare package prices (as budget is tight) and digest the information received here. All I know now is that it is between the IC-7000 and the 857D/897D.:confused:

Thanks again for your help. Now back to studying for the Tech/Gen:eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.