• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New SB220 meters. Finally.

Yeah, that's the program I'm using for meter scales. This project stalled while I came up with a decent-looking way to cover the bottom part of the meter. The original design had a black plastic piece that clipped over the transparent lower part of the meter face, concealing the zero lever and pivot stuff. Can't buy that piece by itself. Figured it was a candidate for a 3D-printed part, but that part of the project just stalled and stalled. Really ought to get that part drafted in 3D CAD and try it on a borrowed printer.

Why not just use a piece of black vinyl

Reactions: GlocknSpiel
Yeah, that's the program I'm using for meter scales. This project stalled while I came up with a decent-looking way to cover the bottom part of the meter. The original design had a black plastic piece that clipped over the transparent lower part of the meter face, concealing the zero lever and pivot stuff. Can't buy that piece by itself. Figured it was a candidate for a 3D-printed part, but that part of the project just stalled and stalled. Really ought to get that part drafted in 3D CAD and try it on a borrowed printer.

What do you use for cad software? I have been wanting to get a printer, but I haven't done so because I don't have the slightest clue how they work.

I have solidworks 2010, can the cad files it produces be used with these printers? I could probably draw that part you need in SW in a few minutes if I knew the dimensions. I know SW outputs .u3d and a bunch of other formats...

Here is the meter face CAD program I use.

http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter2.html

Probably ought to just work that out. Tried some matte-surface electrical tape, but that just seemed lame. A rigid cover is probably not mandatory.

I was asking about the cad program you use to make the 3d parts, like the plastic cover you were talking about, not the meter scales. Heres a quick cover with random dimensions made on SW, I was just curious if the 3d printers used the same kind of cad files as SW. Could someone just upload the file for this and hit print?

Attachments

• 2023-03-16 17_20_09-SolidWorks Premium 2010 x64 Edition - [Part1 _].png
    2023-03-16 17_20_09-SolidWorks Premium 2010 x64 Edition - [Part1 _].png
    123.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 2023-03-16 17_21_03-SolidWorks Premium 2010 x64 Edition - [Part1 _].png
    2023-03-16 17_21_03-SolidWorks Premium 2010 x64 Edition - [Part1 _].png
    103.1 KB · Views: 47
If you find someone with a 3D printer that takes any of these formats, I can make the cad file for you. Here is a list of formats that I can save parts in. A quick search says STL is the most common for 3D printers, and it does have that one listed., so if you ever want to make that cover, let me know the dimensions that you want and I'll make it in SW.
formats.png

Yes, that's the same software ("meter"). I printed-out some labeling for an old Swan MKII basket case amp using MS Paint and that 'waterslide' decal paper on my laser printer, and it works fantastic for that! Only two issues with the method:
It needs to be clear-coated to keep the ink from rubbing off. Second, WHITE printing is not available.. So this Swan is gonna be white with black labeling ;)

Back on topic: Couldn't you mask-off the back side of the 'window' portion and paint the base with flat black model paint from the back? I've done that with an old plexiglass tuning dial 'lens' that was supposed to be black on the two ends, but was clear... It turned out perfect.
BTW; I found the OG meter movement data, courtesy of K6JCA and his blog on the topic;
He found that they're 1400 ohms and 200 uA at a voltage of 0.28 volts across the meter for full scale deflection. Of course, other meters can be adapted using an appropriate inline resistor.

Last edited:
Exciting news! FreeCAD has reached a significant release milestone, showcasing its continuous growth and development as a powerful open-source CAD software. Alongside this milestone, there's also a fascinating linkage fork analysis underway. While some may be skeptical, I encourage embracing diverse discussions and analyses, even if they involve tomatoes being thrown! It's through such discussions that new insights and innovations can emerge. Additionally, if you're interested in exploring more software options or seeking additional tools for your CAD projects, check out https://prosoftstore.com/. They offer a wide range of software solutions to cater to various needs and preferences.

Last edited:
I bought a complete 1 mA version of this same meter on fleabay, and it had this piece on it. The shelf where it lived got reshuffled a few months back, and now I've lost track of it. Snapping that one off to get scanned would be the easy way. Just gotta find the bloody thing.

Thank you for the offer. Now I have a proper motive to track it down.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.