• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio 1/2 wave Gain Master

Eddie,
I remember you telling us about running your 3-500Z amplifier with the gainmaster,
SSB & AM is much easier on antennas & amps than FM,

two buddies had the vswr rising on long overs, a few burned theirs out,
several have snappped on the joints which are VERY easy to crush when tightening the hose clamps, two snappped above the coil former,

twice i have heard people dealing a burnt gainmaster to a guy with a snapped gainmaster.

Bob, I think the FM mode is tough on radios.

I've heard similar stories, and I believe your description on the inter workings of the GM and maybe the circuit is weak. I'm mostly curious how the New 1/2 wave is working out, and if anybody has compared the performance.

I was going to replace my GM or maybe consider the NHW, but I recently has pace maker surgery and I'm told it is not a good idea to work an RF producing radio. For right now that is easy to do...there is mostly NO traffic here...even in the big city and around for 30 miles.

I've probably needed the PM for sometime now, because I'm starting to get some energy back...and my diabetes is under good control finely after nearly 3 years with little control. That said however, I'm still too unsure of my getting around on my feet...and I don't dare think about doing antenna work. Maybe latter.

greetings:
wishing you the best with your health marconi, my father in law has a pace maker and also suffers from diabetes so i know a little of what you are going through.

Below is a link to a video i found on you tube, There are some swr measurements that this person made towards the end of the video starting at about 1:42.

i'm not liking that 2.0 swr on triple 5 frequency...i wish the poster would have gone to 10 meters. it looks like a tuner may be needed.

th 1/2w gainmaster is tuneable from 27.2 to 30mhz,, there is a chart you use to cut the top to the center frequency that you want,,,, its not as broadband like the original 5/8 gainmaster

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Eddie, its good to hear you are feeling better,

my ham buddy had a pacemaker for years without issues from RF, he never ran more than a 100w HF set through his a99 & imax for cb/10mtrs & wire antennas for HF,

maybe its time to buy a current balun & move the antenna as far from you as practical,

nobody local seems the slightest bit interested in the 1/2wave gainmaster.

Thanks for the info Bob.

I'm not surprised...nobody seems interested in the New Sirio HW Gainmaster.

No it’s not. The comment I responded to was clearly before the specs were published.

Not sure what you’re saying, Mark.
The low point of the antenna’s tuning range apparently is at 27.2 which is in the middle of the CB channels.

Not sure what you’re saying, Mark.
The low point of the antenna’s tuning range apparently is at 27.2 which is in the middle of the CB channels.
27.2Mhz is where it is resonate at untrimmed. TYPO BY Sirio. Should have read 26.3 to 28.1 Mhz Resonate at 27.2 Mhz. There’s a chart showing how to trim it for frequency range. They also posted the wrong length. I personally had the 5/8 wave version up for 8 years. No issues until it got hit. I ordered the HW version and tuned it flat 1-40. It also seems to perform better than the 5/8 version. I’m on low ground so maybe the takeoff is a higher, not sure.

27.2Mhz is where it is resonate at untrimmed. TYPO BY Sirio. Should have read 26.3 to 28.1 Mhz Resonate at 27.2 Mhz. There’s a chart showing how to trim it for frequency range. They also posted the wrong length. I personally had the 5/8 wave version up for 8 years. No issues until it got hit. I ordered the HW version and tuned it flat 1-40. It also seems to perform better than the 5/8 version. I’m on low ground so maybe the takeoff is a higher, not sure.

Ah! I should have researched it further.
That's good to know. I've wanted to try the GM HW but was reluctant for that reason.

Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.