• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio astroplane

I'm not familiar with a new Astoroplane from then, unless you are referring to their current model Top One which they conveniently advertise as an Astroplane on their web site, which is very different from the old Astroplane antennas. IMHO this version of the antenna is closer to a Starduster than an Astroplane.

Unless they have another antenna they call the Astroplane now? If they do I haven't seen anything on it.

The DB

I'm not familiar with a new Astoroplane from then, unless you are referring to their current model Top One which they conveniently advertise as an Astroplane on their web site, which is very different from the old Astroplane antennas. IMHO this version of the antenna is closer to a Starduster than an Astroplane.

Unless they have another antenna they call the Astroplane now? If they do I haven't seen anything on it.

The DB
That one linked above lists it as a 3/4 wave antenna in the bold print and then if you go down to electrical data and they list it as a 1/4 wave antenna, the advertising department is slipping.

I don't know why they call this a astro plane.

Jeff
Screenshot_20230221-183651~2.png

Here is my thinking regarding the Avanti AstroPlane, compared to what I call the Coppers Top One antenna. See Manual for the Sirio New Top One image below.

IMO, the original Top One antenna was a knockoff of the Avanti AstroPlane. Maybe CTE stopper production of their Top One or went out of business. Maybe Coppers stopped selling the Top One.

So, I refer to this old CTE antenna as the Old Top One and it was sold by Coppers Electronics.

I recall Coppers sold the Top One and it was possibly a bit larger than the Original Avanti AstroPlane. As time went by Coppers either quit selling the Top One or CTE stopped producing the Top One.

Closer in time to todays Sirio New Top One see image below) makes their version of the Old Top One, The New Top One uses a gamma match to help tuning-range and with several radials possibly adding a bit more bandwidth at or below 2:00:1 SWR
screenshot_20230221-183651-2-png.62800

The names and descriptions of this antenna design is of little value to the comparisons of these antennas in actual use. They seem to me to all work about the same or similar...and do a very good job with your radio receive and low noise levels,,,and with transmit...producing a very robust RF pattern at low angles at the Earth's horizon.

I also posted the Eznec models for the Sirio M400 and the Siro New Top one below to compare the possible advantages of these 1/2 wave antennas...regardless of how described or named.

I also posted some other the RF patterns for several other antenna at 1/2 and 5/8 wavelengths for some added comparisons of the RF patterns, gain, and angles.

Attachments

• Astroplane Antenna_0001.pdf
    374.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.