• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Stryker 995

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
Well, I finally broke down and bought one, the V2 from Rooster. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. The SSB is sooooo much easier to hear and make good contacts with. I did have to dig out the old laptop with Windows 10 on it to use the program, that was a tad irritating. Also had to use the larger wire for power, the one for the Galaxy 959B wasn't carrying the current. The ability to lower the DK and max output from the menu, as to not over drive my amp, is nice also.
I've gotten a few unsolicited compliments on how it sounds which is always nice. Now I just have to figure out what allllll those options in the menu are for.

Shouldn't have to use a computer to make any adjustments. All can be done from the radio. Besides the Functions Menu - the Test Menu is accessed by having radio Off. Press & Hold SCAN and turn radio on. Glad you are liking it. I saved $100 by getting the 655. Have an Icom rig for SSB & FM.

Reactions: 144inBama
Shouldn't have to use a computer to make any adjustments. All can be done from the radio. Besides the Functions Menu - the Test Menu is accessed by having radio Off. Press & Hold SCAN and turn radio on. Glad you are liking it. I saved $100 by getting the 655. Have an Icom rig for SSB & FM.
Program your own RBs (just in case I decide to use the racket maker) Personalize the Display with your name. Mine is hold color while powering on for the TEST options, SCAN is something to do with the mic and function is reset.

Reactions: Wire Weasel
Program your own RBs (just in case I decide to use the racket maker) Personalize the Display with your name. Mine is hold color while powering on for the TEST options, SCAN is something to do with the mic and function is reset.
I believe you're right. It's Color on the 955 and Scan for the 655

Wire, does your 655 v2 have noise reduction? I heard the original V2 655's did, then they removed it from the latest revision. I wish Stryker would add adjustability to the NR on the 955 v2. The one setting is a little heavy handed for my liking.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Wire, does your 655 v2 have noise reduction? I heard the original V2 655's did, then they removed it from the latest revision. I wish Stryker would add adjustability to the NR on the 955 v2. The one setting is a little heavy handed for my liking.
I guess so. They call the feature Compression for some reason. It knocks the noise down about 25%. Using ANL + NB also helps on noise along with the High Cut Filter. ...... but still this radio is a tad noisy for my taste. I'm thinking about trying an ATone Q6 sometime. Many say the RX is better .... plus can generally get more power out AND have SSB AND is $100 less than the AM/FM 655.

I guess so. They call the feature Compression for some reason. It knocks the noise down about 25%. Using ANL + NB also helps on noise along with the High Cut Filter. ...... but still this radio is a tad noisy for my taste. I'm thinking about trying an ATone Q6 sometime. Many say the RX is better .... plus can generally get more power out AND have SSB AND is $100 less than the AM/FM 655.
My 955 has compression AND a NR feature. The compression works well, although the NR makes everyone sound like robots.

I feel like these new board radios are a little noisy too and for whatever reason always seem to have S4+ noise floor at my QTH and in my mobile (5555n v2, 955 v2) and I 've seen others commenting the same. I know Scott from Scott's Radio's & Pez did some videos showing otherwise. Scott uses a flat side antenna (seems to make his videos in the evening) so his SNR is better than most with vertical antennas. Not sure about Pez's antenna situation. Either way, it seems like a mix bag of people either thinking they're as quiet as HF transceiver or a bit noisy.

On possibly trading your 655 v2 for a Quad 6, you may be taking a step backwards in frequency stability. I don't think the Quad 6 was terrible or anything, but not nearly as rock solid as the new board radios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wire Weasel

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.