• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Super Penetrator 500

Sigh.

I have no idea what Marconi is on about. I have had one of these beauties for 35 years and another for 4 years. They should work right out of the box.

Now. Hygain markets this as a 10/12M antenna. By FTC regulations, they cannot market this antenna to CB'ers because it is an aluminum antenna. If you don't have an MFJ analyzer, such as the MFJ-259, go get one. It will make your antenna life easier. Otherwise just use an SWR meter to tune the antenna.

I tuned mine to 28.800 Mhz, and my SWR at that frequency is 1.1:1. I imagine that if I tune it to CB it will present the same results.

It is simply the best 10/11M I have ever used.

Hygain SPT-500 10/12M Vertical

From what I have read from the early 1975 spt-500 manual that was advertized for 11 meter. Radiator should be 22' 9.5" long and the ground plane radials should be the normal 105" or 8' 9" long. That is where im setting mine at and i bet that will be right on for 11 meters.

Reactions: Marconi and hotrod
From what I have read from the early 1975 spt-500 manual that was advertized for 11 meter. Radiator should be 22' 9.5" long and the ground plane radials should be the normal 105" or 8' 9" long. That is where im setting mine at and i bet that will be right on for 11 meters.
The original 1970's era '500's were designed for CB, and the '70's instructions showed appropriate measurements for CB. I took my 1975 version, simply shortened the driven element, and it tuned up beautifully on 10.

The current SPT-500 instructions are based on the originals, and are admittedly vague. All they did was simplify the hair-pin Beta match, and that's it. It should tune anywhere from 24 to 30 mHz, by simply adjusting the driven element. Easy-peasy.

1970, if you have an old 500, according to the manuals, they were set at 273" and that was probably the length when 23 channels was the thing. I think later they reset the length to about 270" for the new 40 channel radios. It looks like that were several versions over the years with a different base length ranging from 71" to 77" inches too. The exposed tips for all the old manuals I have show to be 50" inches, while the lengths of elements M2 to the tip range from 193.125" to 196" to 199.125" inches, and these differences tend to make the base element vary also as noted above.

I think the base for the New SP 500's is 72" inches, and the exposed length for the top element is shorter than in the past too. The total length is the shortest length that I have in the manuals I have...at about 264" for 27.205 mhz.

There are probably a lot of combinations for different element lengths that can be used and give similar results. If the antenna is tuned right, my Eznec models with the matcher added...suggest this antenna will make a very good match at both 10 and 11 meters. This matching device looks to be very broad banded, and that surprised me. However, if the bandwidth changes much, when tuned to the outer limits...this might suggest the matcher can produce more losses.

The New SP 500 might also tune to 12 meters, but it looks to me to be short of having enough material to reach. At 24.950 mhz, I figure the physical antenna is about 6" short of having enough material to reach resonance, but that is just an estimate.

VA3ES, my comments are directed to my attempts to model the SP 500 using Eznec, and including a matching device that will result in this antenna showing a good match, and responding to changes in frequency if I wanted to re tune the antenna. I do not have the specifics for the dimensions of the beta matching device and therefore the model might be showing less than stellar performance. I didn't expect to see that, base in part on such good reports, like your's, over the years.

I posted models and said they did not look good or as I would expect, but I was trying to drum up some interest so that maybe someone would take the time to accurately measure their New SP 500. I've asked repeatedly for this information, but few have ever come forward. I just figured nobody cared what Eznec might show and I could not make anyone have some interest in order to possibly see what modeling might show for this antenna. Is it different like many claim or is it just like any other 5/8 wave radiator.

VA3ES, you note that HyGain made some change to the beta matcher for their New SP 500, right? I don't doubt it, but I did not notice that in what I've see posted here on WWDX. Can you clue me in on what you see as being different? If you have all the dimenions I need to try and get my model to working better, could you share that with me. Maybe these differences will do what I expect and the model will start to produce the results I was looking for.

I realize most guys on these forums don't know "sick em' from com-e'er" about anything regarding modeling...and I sometimes wonder why I even bother too.

If you can help me, then thank's much.

Last edited:
I received the following via email from a buddy, but I'm not sure if it is for the New SP 500 or not. VA3ES if you're right and HG did modify this matching device on their New model...then this might be the wrong dimensions.

Dimensions for New SP 500.jpg

If these details work out, I won't need you guys to take any measurements. I'll be sure and let you know how this all turns out.

I'm not here to trash the Penetrator 500, I just wanted to see for myself if Eznec can predict what and how this one performs.

Last edited:
[...] VA3ES, you note that HyGain made some change to the beta matcher for their New SP 500, right? I don't doubt it, but I did not notice that in what I've see posted here on WWDX. Can you clue me in on what you see as being different? If you have all the dimenions I need to try and get my model to working better, could you share that with me. Maybe these differences will do what I expect and the model will start to produce the results I was looking for.
The total overall length of the matching system appears to be shorter than the original, by about an inch or so. I somehow suspect that was done to provide a better match on 10M.

My original developed a break in the internal link from the SO239 to the matching assy, (probably due to corrosion). I will repair that and put the old antenna back in stock as a spare. Can't have enough of these beauties, you know! ;)

I have all the older assembly manuals in a file. I can PM them to you.

The total overall length of the matching system appears to be shorter than the original, by about an inch or so. I somehow suspect that was done to provide a better match on 10M.

My original developed a break in the internal link from the SO239 to the matching assy, (probably due to corrosion). I will repair that and put the old antenna back in stock as a spare. Can't have enough of these beauties, you know! ;)

I have all the older assembly manuals in a file. I can PM them to you.

The measurements I sent earlier show the overall length of the main matching wire is 15.875" inches for the long side, and 14.875" inches for the short side wire. I'm trying to model the New SP 500, and have little interest at this point in any older model. That could change if I can get my idea for the SP 500, to working right with the physical matcher included in the model. The only thing that is stopping me from completing what I set out to do is the fact I haven't find anybody with useful information so far.

Until I am satisfied that I have some good data...I will keep believing I can get a physical matcher to work with an Eznec model...if the details are right. A few years ago, when I was in better health...I physically bought (purchased) the antennas I was interested in...and I didn't have to ask anybody for dimensions.

I'm trying to be specific here and maybe that is why some guys get all bent, and try to make these discussions personal. Maybe that is why you said you didn't know what Marconi was on. I'm on a quest to try and figure out this antenna.

VA3ES, because of the phrase you used, "...appears to be..." in your post, I would like to be clear here. Are you telling me, that you "know" for a fact or just think...that the New SP 500's matcher is an inch shorter than the old models?

I have manuals PN #801366, #801244, #801285, and an older manual without any number noted.

The buddy that sent this no PN number manual to me made a note on it that said it was for a 23 channel version. The manuals states that the overall length is 22' 9.5", it shows a dimension of 193.125" on the picture of the antenna for the M parts and the top element combined, but the manual did not have a material take off included...so I can't confirm these dimensions either.

If you still with me in this quest, and have a manual not listed above, send it to me and I'll add it to my file.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I asked BJB to measure his antenna for me since it is convenient and on the ground, but I'm not even sure if he has the New model or not. So, I'm just waiting to proceed. I'm not asking you guys to go to a lot of trouble for this old man...I've been at this quest for a long time...and I wouldn't ask anybody to do something for me that I wouldn't gladly do in return.

You all have my thanks, when helping this old man to do his thing.

Last edited:
BJB, I'm using a 4" inch square for the top and bottom brackets that hold the insulators. This was just a guess on my part. I don't have a 4 radial bracket, so can you give me all of the dimensions for the mount?

I'm just estimating the distance between the tuner wires and the radiator also, can you get me that distance too?

I'm still unable to get this model to working right, even after modifying the dimensions for the tuning device a buddy sent me sometime back. Like I said though, I'm not sure those dimensions are for the new SP500 either, and considering that VA3ES may be right...the older model tuners could have been modified for the New SP version.

Also, can you give me the top hat lengths too?

Last edited:
Just a thought! I bought an old P.500 and it was in sad shape! I ordered replacement parts and the matching wire was different! The long and short sides were opposite, and the overall length was longer as well! Some re-drilling and modification was needed to use the newer parts.

It all tuned and works as good as new!

Bit difficult at the moment as the antenna is mounted on a 10 foot pole. When I get thicker coax I will be bringing it down and remounting this time on the roof of my house for more elevation, but for now I am just enjoying it and it is working very well.

BJB, I'm using a 4" inch square for the top and bottom brackets that hold the insulators. This was just a guess on my part. I don't have a 4 radial bracket, so can you give me all of the dimensions for the mount?

I'm just estimating the distance between the tuner wires and the radiator also, can you get me that distance too?

I'm still unable to get this model to working right, even after modifying the dimensions for the tuning device a buddy sent me sometime back. Like I said though, I'm not sure those dimensions are for the new SP500 either, and considering that VA3ES may be right...the older model tuners could have been modified for the New SP version.

Also, can you give me the top hat lengths too?

Just a thought! I bought an old P.500 and it was in sad shape! I ordered replacement parts and the matching wire was different! The long and short sides were opposite, and the overall length was longer as well! Some re-drilling and modification was needed to use the newer parts.

It all tuned and works as good as new!

You know 817, when you say the new beta match was longer...are you saying the new matcher was longer than the matcher you took off your antenna, or are you saying it is longer than the measurements I posted earlier in this thread?

I think what I've seen, shows the long wire and the grounding element was on the left side to the tuner. The short wire is on the right and connected to the bottom of the radiator. This is also the way the beta looks in the dimensions take-off that I posted above, where it shows this wire device flowing from left to right. However I think this drawing was sent to me long before the New SP500 was introduced a year or so ago.

For some reason however I did my matching device the opposite so at some point just recently I was looking at a SP500 beta match that fed from the right along with the ground element.

The model I started with the other day had the beta working with the short side on the left and the long wire and the ground on the right just like my model shows, but it never dawned on me that there was this difference, so again VA3ES could be right.

The new matching wire is longer-(taller), and the long and short sides of the new wire is opposite of the original wire that came on my old P500! I took a pic, because I currently have it down, I'm running a beam now! Unfortunately the file size was too large and I'm not sure how to manage that! I had too clock the bottom insulator one hole and then re drill the bottom of the vertical! This was kind of a hassle but well worth it!

Also the metal lug that runs through the center of the bottom insulator, and protrudes from the top of it is longer or taller.

I have no clue why these items have been redesigned from the original, proven design! Maybe it has something to do with some kind off copy right!? I can't see how these minor changes would improve anything!

In the larger scheme of things, the exact dimensions and orientation doesn't matter, as long as the reactances posed by the matching system remains the same. Possibly done for manufacturing efficiency. Copyrights and patents have nothing to do with it, as Hy-gain manufactured it before and still does now. The 2011 version works as well as my 1975 version. I love it.

The new matching wire is longer-(taller), and the long and short sides of the new wire is opposite of the original wire that came on my old P500! I took a pic, because I currently have it down, I'm running a beam now! Unfortunately the file size was too large and I'm not sure how to manage that! I had too clock the bottom insulator one hole and then re drill the bottom of the vertical! This was kind of a hassle but well worth it!

Also the metal lug that runs through the center of the bottom insulator, and protrudes from the top of it is longer or taller.

I have no clue why these items have been redesigned from the original, proven design! Maybe it has something to do with some kind off copy right!? I can't see how these minor changes would improve anything!

Reactions: 2 people

817, I'm trying to make an Eznec model of the New SP500 and include the beta matcher in the design to see if it will tune the antenna model like it does in the real world. Since you antenna is down, could you give me the measurements for the matcher?

If you'll email me your pictures at edromans@comcast.net I'll edit the size and post same or send them to you, and you can post them.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated