• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Superstar SS-158FB4 reincarnated

The SS-158 had screaming audio - I just wish it didn't drift so much on SSB. I paired one with a 4 pill and it was a rocking AM setup, just couldn't use it mobile for SSB as I'd constantly be playing with the clarifier.

Is this newer $658 one anymore stable? I just can't see having heat sink on the bottom of radio. Heat rises and that configuration makes things hot and cold. Susceptible to drift. Possibly some Nitro nobs would help?

So looks like the basic radio chassis with the amplifier added but in the amplifier section they've used pen (at the factory) to cover up the tops of the pills.....hmmmmm.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
Sad thing is I do not see anything new about this.
Another 6900 series radio with a amp pasted on the bottom.
Seen the face plate before.
Seen the amp before.
Can't see the transistors but....ya.
A 6900-F 25 with a amp.
Still to much heat for a small chassis.
And I bet a dollar fifty it is still a drift monster.
Let it warm up for a hour...... Then key it for a 15 min conversation and it heats up 40 or 50 degrees and the frequency goes to hell.
Twiddle the claifier to get it back on and then it cools down and twiddle again.
Repeat
Repeat.
I have seen a old 6900 F150 that the clairfier had to be replaced from Twiddle time.
600 plus dollars?
And ink out the transistors?
The 2950 flavors of the radio are much better than this.
Still don't like built in amps.
A radio and 4 pill amp is better.
Am I a grouchy old fart or what?
Jeff

It might be an expensive radio, but remember the Connex 4300-300 and 4390-400....people pay some crazy money to get them now. Same for the Magnum S-9. I think I may get one of these.

I question though what frequencies does it cover once converted, and what transistors are used in the amplifier section?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.