• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Tech Indecisive

magconpres

KF7MDM
Oct 8, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I'm confused.

I'm a new tech and am looking for a handheld.

My primary interest is in back country communication. I like to go off-road motorcycle riding and do quite abit hiking. Generally, there is no cell service in the areas I ride/hike. However, there are repeaters in the areas, so I figure Ham is the way to go.

Plus, I admit, I like technical stuff, esp. electronics. And therein lies my problem. The more features I read about, the more I need/want them.

The most interesting feature is text messaging via APRS. If I get hurt in the woods, I figure I can always reach someone via phone or if necessary access the auto-patch via the repeater. But, if I want to contact my wife, that is another matter. She has no interest in getting a license and, unless it's an emergency, I wouldn't call her via auto-patch. However, if I could send her a text message, that would be great. Actually, that ability to be able to reach me when I'm out in the woods may be enough to convince her to possibly consider getting a tech license ;)

APRS locating is also of interest, though I am not exectly sure how I would use it other than as a neat thing to play with. I am looking into joining a SAR group, and it might come in handly there. But, I have a GPS and can always just report my position if needed.

OK, so the dilema is features vs cost.

I've read this forum for about a week straight now and realize that I can get the Wouxon (sp?) dual band radio for a bit over $100. That's considerably less that the VX-6 I was originally considering, and a ton less than the VX-8R I was convincing my self I had to have.

The guys at my local HRO outlet tell me I really one need a dual band HT in the Portland area where I live, and in looking at the repeaters around here, I agree. Everything seems to be for 2M and 70cm. However, when I mentioned text paging, I was told it's not practical and that D-Star will be the way to go if it ever gets deployed enough to be pervasive.

So, I'm looking for some opinions regarding the everyday usefulness of text paging and location reporting via APRS. I'm not talking about "grid is out" natural disaster emcomm stuff. More of the "I go hunting/fishing/hiking/climbing and need to talk to non-HAMs kind of stuff." I've checked, and the areas I ride/hike in do have digipeaters on the mountain tops.

Also, any input on other options (like getting a basic HT and then adding things for APRS) would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

mcp.

It sounds like you've done your research pretty good on the local repeater situation. For the biking & hiking activities, any of the 2m/440 HT's will probably work fine. I think you'll want to the ruggedness of various models to help with your decision.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on APRS in a remote area as a means to get messages out. First you would have to guarantee that there is a digipeater that you can hit. I find that there just aren't enough of them to give good, consistent coverage for APRS over HTs. Maybe in your area it is better than mine? There is an APRS to email gateway that you could use to get messages to non-hams. I've also seen people do APRS to Twitter, although it takes some coding. I'm non aware of an APRS to SMS Text gateway.

If you have a real emergency, I think you will have much more success just using voice on a regular repeater, and you'll probably won't have much problem getting someone to even place a phone call to your wife if necessary. APRS is fun, but I don't think it's ready for the type of use-case you're looking at.

I agree with 'Mole' mostly. While APRS might be handy, using it for texting/messaging isn't practical for most hand-helds or areas (sparse digipeating).
About the 'bells-n-whistles', most sound 'nice', but are really seldom used except in very specific instances. And naturally, it depends on jsut which 'bells-n-whistles' you're talking about.
I gotta admit that the 'Wouxon' radios are certainly more affordable than the 'big' name brands. Not really knowing that much about them, I won't even attempt to rate them. I've seen them offered with some really nice 'additions', software, 'T'-shirt, etc. Not sure why, but I know I've been tempted too.
Something to think about is that miniaturization is NOT the best thing since a pocket on a shirt! There's only so much something can be 'shrunk' before it get's really impractical for normal use. Not just in the button pushing stuff, but in the mechanical aspects too. A decent hand-held antenna isn't going to be that 'small' and will need some mechanical support provided by the radio case. Don't know about you, but I hate those SMA type connectors! Much rather use a BNC type.
I think if I were to look seriously for a hand-held it would have to be a fairly late model of whatever brand, and a dual bander. Might as well invest in a couple of 'larger' batteries and a charger while you're at it, you WILL need them.
Another little thingy is that unless you plan to be afoot mostly, a mobile radio will be much more useful than a hand-held radio ever will be.
- 'Doc

(Can you tell I'm not much of a hand-held fan?)

Thanks for both replies. They are helpful.

OK, you helped me get over the "gotta have that gadget" phase of shopping, and I'm back looking for a good, functional dual band.

At some point, I would like to get a mobile, but for my main use, I'll be on foot or at least on two wheels, so something I can put in my pack is required. And while I could fit a mobile in there, the 12V battery would be a pain to haul around;)

I like the ruggedness of both the vx-6 and may end up going that route. It's about $250 at HRO. That';s quite a bit more than $108 for the Wouxon, but I like it can be submersed. While I try to avoid ending up in the stream, I do live on the wet side of Oregon and it's bound to get wet on a regular basis.

I'll sit on this for another week or so before making a decision. I'll post back once I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the input!
mcp

Don't rule out making portable antenna's to pack in your bag for the fun of it to plug into your radio for further coverage.

At heights, you will be amazed and have fun and make the trip fun during your stops. We used hand held 2 meter beams and simple roll up twin lead "J" poles with great success up on some of the Adirondack mountains in Northern N.Y.

Have FUN!!

tracker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.