• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new to cb, have a few issues

What you need depends on what sort of range you expect.
From a stock, 4w radio.
1 to 3 miles, a 2 or 3 foot firestick or similar will do. The base loaded whips, in the range of around 3' tall, work ok, but I do not know which ones are better than others. Expect 3 to 5 miles with this.
Then the best ones are the K40, the Wilson 1000/5000 and Siro. There might be more but this class of antenna is typically around 5' tall, base loaded, and of a 5/8 wavelength. The general consensus is the Wilson works best, but not by much over a K40. K40 is not bad, I have one of the first K40's ever made, no trouble out of it from trees,etc.
then there is the 8 foot whip, spanks the squirrels out the trees. It needs no loading, as it is resonant of 1/4 wavelength of 27mhz. It is also has the most bandwidth, that is, the frequency range it is resonant at, but that is only important if you plan on using extra channels, or 10 meter hamband. In theory this is best, but in practice, its going to point sideways when you are driving 70mph down the interstate, flapping around, smacking trees, etc and that will translate into less range, but it is great when you are not moving. Personally I would go with the wilson 1000 or 5000, the difference in performance in most installations is negligible.
Where you mount the antenna is important as well. the other half of your antenna is your vehicle, put antenna in a corner and it gives makes it more directional. put it on the right side of the bumper and its gong to work better towards the front left.
best spot is right in the middle of the roof. the bumper is a poor place to put it, as the metal effects it in a bad way.
I think a wilson or k40 on the roof dogs a 102" whip mounted on the bumper.
I should write a book.

as for the handheld, your range is going to suck. under a mile with a small say 5 or 6" duck, i had one with an 18" duck that do several miles, and my radio shack handhelds, with the telescopic center loaded antennas would do almost the same as a mobile.
I do not know where to get any of this other than ebay. oh a google cobra HA-TA it works good too.

The antenna will be on a mount, coming out from the tail light, wont be on the bumper. Removing the dome light sounds like a great idea.

As for off-roading, nothing too hardcore.

What are the things that tie it down up front?

Hi Patton and welcome to the forum. Needlebender has the best option for you in my opinion. Never drill and mount an antenna to the roof of your car unless you fancy doing some serious damage to the bodywork off roading. Been there and done it in my works tractor, not a good idea. Over here we do foxhunts which involves a lot of off roading and puts most antenna's through their paces.
The base loaded antenna's such as the red devil which is similar to what Needlebender was talking about are cheap, effective and you dont mind when they get battered about off roading. They do have a tendency to go open circuit after about three years but who cares at 20 bucks, you just go get another or do a quick 10 minute repair with a couple of screws. If you do get an antenna thats expensive, prepare yourself for the tears when it gets battered.

What you need depends on what sort of range you expect.
From a stock, 4w radio.
1 to 3 miles, a 2 or 3 foot firestick or similar will do. The base loaded whips, in the range of around 3' tall, work ok, but I do not know which ones are better than others. Expect 3 to 5 miles with this.
Then the best ones are the K40, the Wilson 1000/5000 and Siro. There might be more but this class of antenna is typically around 5' tall, base loaded, and of a 5/8 wavelength. The general consensus is the Wilson works best, but not by much over a K40. K40 is not bad, I have one of the first K40's ever made, no trouble out of it from trees,etc.
then there is the 8 foot whip, spanks the squirrels out the trees. It needs no loading, as it is resonant of 1/4 wavelength of 27mhz. It is also has the most bandwidth, that is, the frequency range it is resonant at, but that is only important if you plan on using extra channels, or 10 meter hamband. In theory this is best, but in practice, its going to point sideways when you are driving 70mph down the interstate, flapping around, smacking trees, etc and that will translate into less range, but it is great when you are not moving. Personally I would go with the wilson 1000 or 5000, the difference in performance in most installations is negligible.
Where you mount the antenna is important as well. the other half of your antenna is your vehicle, put antenna in a corner and it gives makes it more directional. put it on the right side of the bumper and its gong to work better towards the front left.
best spot is right in the middle of the roof. the bumper is a poor place to put it, as the metal effects it in a bad way.
I think a wilson or k40 on the roof dogs a 102" whip mounted on the bumper.
I should write a book.

as for the handheld, your range is going to suck. under a mile with a small say 5 or 6" duck, i had one with an 18" duck that do several miles, and my radio shack handhelds, with the telescopic center loaded antennas would do almost the same as a mobile.
I do not know where to get any of this other than ebay. oh a google cobra HA-TA it works good too.
You are being a bit harsh on distance acheived with some of these antenna's Towerdog. For example, I have a 30 inch centre loaded antenna on my tractor at work and get an average of about 5-8 miles with it on a standard 4 watts rig. On my car I have a Red devil base loaded antenna on a 7 inch mag mount and I'll get 8-10 miles comfortable on 4 watts. In fact I talk regular to breakers 14-20 miles away but that is subjective at times. Wilson work well also the Sirio base loaded stuff works particularly well. Best place is in the middle of the roof with preferably a triple mag mount for added security. I wouldn't recommend putting it on a bumper, a mirror mount or anything like that. You will have trouble with VSWR because you are relying on the earths between bumpers and the car, mirrors etc to get a good VSWR. Then they have the added problem of becoming directional. Roof mounted antenna's are also directional usually from front to back of the car but its something that we all live with and its not too much of a problem. Roof mounting on a nice magmount will get you the best performance without any shadow of a doubt and if you knock it off by accident, you can just put it back on.
Edit: Also for serious offroading consider the springer type but with a 5-6 foot whip and a triple mag mount, you can get those horizontal going under trees and they just spring back to their position. People mentioning VSWR at ch1/40 at 3:1 is just unacceptable in my book. Roof magmounts VSWR wants to be 1.3:1 on ch19 and no more than 1.8:1 on ch1/40. High VSWR will reflect on performance significantly while mobile.

Last edited:
yes my estimates were a bit harsh, and could be worse. i also had mobile to mobile on my mind, base to mobile and its going to improve alot. terrain, weather, vegetation, interference from traffic lights and neon signs, buildings, and the solar cycle all play into it.
right now, when the skip is coming in strong, this is the kind of range i expect during the day in the small towns and suburbs just outside the big city.

yes my estimates were a bit harsh, and could be worse. i also had mobile to mobile on my mind, base to mobile and its going to improve alot. terrain, weather, vegetation, interference from traffic lights and neon signs, buildings, and the solar cycle all play into it.
right now, when the skip is coming in strong, this is the kind of range i expect during the day in the small towns and suburbs just outside the big city.
Oh I agree towerdog, all those affect CB. Skip isn't usually an issue here cause we dont get it often:cry:
We use FM here which seems pretty good as opposed to AM. No one uses the side bands mobile here except on good skip days when the odd breaker heads for high ground for a days dxing.
In hilly conditions the smaller antenna's tend to fail miserably compared with a full quarter wave whip, most people around here go for longer options such as Wilson, Sirio and decent modulators, although the odd half breed sometimes makes an appearance.

Lots to look at, thanks to all!!!!!

@Needle Bender...

If I had a dollar for every time I got stuck sitting in those black plastic seats in the back of my friends BRAT leaving the lake I would be eating steak every day!

thx all!

Yeah, I only rode back there once while I let a friend drive it - because I'm not stupid! :D

How's your tailbone? :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.