• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to the 10m/CB world....

biz

Dec 16, 2009
sorry but im new to this world..... but an "export radio" is a 10 meter radio modded to work on the 11 meter CB freq?

and the reason for doing this is they put out way more power out of the box than a wimpy 4 watt cb right?

And are some 10m radios unable to be modded to work on 11m?

I think that most -if not all- 10 meter radios being made today can be modded to do 11 meter/CB with little or no difficulty. They do have more power. Four watt CB radios are not necissarily 'wimpy'; they respond really well to low input level drive amps. But 10 meter radios are popular, I run a couple of them myself. Very handy.

In ye olden days of CB, if you wanted more power and extra channels, you had to modify your radio do it. So some enterprising individuals came up with the idea of introducing some radios that already had these common modifications included from the factory. The problem is that they aren't legal for sale. They started out being called 10 meter "Export" radios, because they were always listed "for export only" by the retailers. The loopholes in the laws at the time allowed this. Not long ago, those loopholes were closed, and the retailers responded by just dropping the "export" part.

The rules provide that certain equipment needs to be certified as meeting FCC regulations before being offered for sale in the US. There are exceptions to that rule. One exception is equipment imported for export. Say you import equipment and sell it down in Miami in the free trade zone. Equipment comes in and goes out of the country. It doesn't need to be certified. Back in the 90's, equipment that worked on CB and Amateur frequencies were offered for sale as equipment for "export" only. The argument was that the radios did not need to be certified because they were only being sold for "export." The term has wrongly carried over to all 10 meter radios, even though the radios, at least the ones made by Ranger, are legal to sell without certification.

Some people, including FCC agents, modify their Amateur equipment to work on CB. A lot more convenient than having two radios in your vehicle. However, transmitting on CB while using equipment which is not certified is a violation of the rules. That's why I only listen to CB when using a 10 meter radio.

how is it possible to get caught in a mobile tx'n from a 10 meter on cb .....

does the FCC have people roaming the highways?

i would think its much more risky to crank out watts from home and possibly have a neighbor make a phone call..... and its pretty easy to spot the only guy with the huge antenna on his roof.

About 5 years ago a guy was caught because he was driving around locally using a radio with a high powered amp and causing so much interference the FCC sent some agents there to drive around and see if they could find who it was. They got lucky because he stuck to his local and happened to be broadcasting that day.

About 15 years ago they caught some cab driver because he was sitting at the airport and putting out about 500 watts and causing interference.

It is pretty unlikely they will catch you or even care if you are using an Amateur radio on CB, especially without an amp. As I said, I know of at least one FCC agent that uses his ICOM on CB. Use it out of band without a license and the FCC cares.

how is it possible to get caught in a mobile tx'n from a 10 meter on cb .....

does the FCC have people roaming the highways?

i would think its much more risky to crank out watts from home and possibly have a neighbor make a phone call..... and its pretty easy to spot the only guy with the huge antenna on his roof.

If the FCC saw the need to bust mobile "high power" CBers they could do it with one hand tied behind their backs in less than 5 minutes while drinking a cup of coffee.

Luck has nothing to do with anything here.

Extremely dirty CB mobiles have probably done more to keep BPL from being implemented than the ARRL ever could.

Export radios are more about the extended 'channels' than the power. The power is higher, but really the difference isn't that huge.

The main issue about drawing attention is a dirty signal and/or operating out of the band you are authorized for.

You could put out a clean kW signal on legal CB frequencies and I'd bet, you would have no trouble. Trouble is, most CB equipment isn't clean, then amplified, even with a clean amp, the byproducts become even worse. Add to that the dirty CB amps themselves...it makes a mess and draws attention.

so you would have to be stupid or want to get caught....

those 2 examples that were given are exactly the sort of thing i would expect someone to get in trouble for....

I also dont plan on talking on 10m without a license.... right now i have no need or desire...

so you would have to be stupid or want to get caught....

those 2 examples that were given are exactly the sort of thing i would expect someone to get in trouble for....

I also dont plan on talking on 10m without a license.... right now i have no need or desire...

i have never heard anyone on 10 meters, let alone talked,
except for the extra power,no big whooopeeee. :headbang

About 5 years ago a guy was caught because he was driving around locally using a radio with a high powered amp and causing so much interference the FCC sent some agents there to drive around and see if they could find who it was. They got lucky because he stuck to his local and happened to be broadcasting that day.

About 15 years ago they caught some cab driver because he was sitting at the airport and putting out about 500 watts and causing interference.

About 3-4 years ago down here the local lumpers and taxis would go at it with radio's so dirty and unmodulated that it made the "ch6 sound" sound like am FM broadcast. I work about 1500' from the airport here and I used to be able to go out to my truck and no matter what channel you would get bleed over. Even a band above and below. They would come over our PA system if they drove out front :censored::censored::censored:

Well, since then that grocery warehouse closed down and the taxicab commision too care of the cabs. Airwaves are calmer now save for the occasional container truck or rock bucket:love:

Last edited:
If you are planning on getting one of these types of radios,my guess would be to get one that is of good quality (such as a ranger 2950,2970) and have it modded for 11 meter,dont allow whoever you buy it from to get inside and turn up the power,modulation or clip anything,just the frequency expansion.

The 2950/70 radios I know from personal experience are good solid rigs that are actually a cleaner transmitting radio that most CBs right out of the box,and have more power output.....but if asked what kind of radio you are running tell em you are running a Cobra 148 or a Uniden Grant XL so if by chance the FCC is listening it wont draw any unwanted attention

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.