• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to the forum, have a question about my Tram D42

(_8*(l)Homer

Sep 8, 2014
So I have a Tram D42, which worked very well when I last used it maybe 12 years ago. Yesterday when I turned it on, there was a loud POP, and the smell of burnt electronics. The transceiver still seems to function properly, I can transmit and I can see on the meeter when I receive, but there is no audio.

I think whatever controls the audio has blown, the speaker works when hooked up to another source. The headphone port only provides a loud hum sounds regardless of the state of RX.

How can I trace the fault? I opened the box and I can smell various burnt electronics, but nothing is visibly burnt.

Thanks, and I look forward to talking with the community here :)
Joe

I suspect a bad electrolytic capacitor in the audio amp is the culprit. They have a tendency to short out if allowed to sit for a time. If I where you I repalce every one in the radio before you go any farther. You have needle movement but most likely it is a dead carrier with no audio.

I was transmitting from handheld in the same room, so the carrier had audio. I will replace the caps as you stated, there aren't too many on it, which is good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.