• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New ? Used ? Stick with what I have ?

Billk

Jan 8, 2012
www.enginerepairshop.com
Hi guys,
After a long time off the air, I have decided to get a home station back up and running and try to enjoy this hobby I got into over 40 years ago :) I have a Kenwood TS520 that I purchased new in 1976. It is in great shape and I have used on and off just for listening with an indoor 10 ft wire. I used to have a dipole set up outside but it is long gone. I have room for an OCF buckmaster or maybe a MFJ G5RV type of wire antenna. I am mainly a recreational user and actually prefer CW.

I guess my questions are, is there enough activity on the Warc bands to een worry about getting a newer rig ? I have been looking on E-bay and it looks like I can get a TS830 or 930 for a pretty reasonable price, or I can buy a new ICOM 718 for a few dollars more. I have heard that the audio on the new rigs is not as pleasing as the old ones like my 520 ?

I like the idea that the newer rigs all have general coverage receivers. Seems like that started with the TS930 or so ? I am kind of partial to Kenwood, I have had great luck with the one I have but if I go new, they dont seem to have anything priced in the range of the Icom 718. I have an Icom 2M/440 rig and have had no issues with it.

Sorry for my rambling on, just looking for some opinions :)

Thanks,
Bill
WB3CII

The WARC bands do have something to offer but if you just operate casually then you may not see the need. A TS-830 would be great for phone however and it does have the WARC bands. The way I look at it is pretty much any rig will sound the same on CW as long as you have a decent filter on your end and the TS-520 will be hard to beat on phone and will stand head and shoulders above most new radios. I have a TS-820S and get nothing but compliments over my FT-857. Personally I would fire up the 520 and grow from there if you wish. We need more classic Kenwoods on the air. (y)

Reactions: 1 person
kc,
Thanks for the encouragement :) I had the TS520 on all day to day and tuned it up into the dummy load and it seems to be working as perfectly as always. I guess i need to get an antenna strung up and see what happens :)
Bill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.