• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEWB question,, or just chattin

You will laugh at this but, I have so little local traffic and, my wife is far too busy to bother helping do radio checks so,,, since I was getting concerned about inverted V local traffic i convinced myself I needed to test it myself.
I took my 2Watt Walkie Talkie (rated at 4 Watts but tested at 2watts) ,, put it on a car antenna... Home CB attached to inverted V in attic ,,, TWO cell phones with active call between them,, one laying in front of home CB,, The other in car with me.
- I drove approx 2.5 Miles / 4 KMs (measured in advance as the crow flies)
- Spoke on the walkie Talkie (attached to K30 antenna) and listened on Cell phone. (I was not driving while conducting the test but, I could have used bluetooth to play Cell call over car speakers)

I didnt even check any other distances. Local reception on inverted V seemed good. I was impressed 2 Watts did that well on a K30 in the suburbs (I was behind a building doing this test, not in a clearing).

Difficult test to reverse in order to test transmission of inverted V but, if it can hear a weaker radio from smaller antenna, I am sure the V can talk to it also.

One other note. If the inverted V is at all directional, I was on the weak side of that directional preference when doing this test.

Also in reference to post above about whether some antennas don’t do well in X-situation, testing them in this manner (the possible variations of mobile to base) is simple enough I’m always surprised more don’t do it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated