• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

newbie amp help!!!

The Midnight Special is better then anything palomar or Boomer make. They are class C with auto SSB delay, class B or AB would be better if you use SSB. They do get good reports though even being class C.

That said I would check into this new line of amplifiers made by X-Force. http://www.xforceamps.com/shop/?cart=349760&cat=35

You could run most any of the first few models. You have what is considered a low power radio. The TnT 100,250,350,400, or T800 would all work. On SSB you can run full tilt, on AM you will have to make sure your radio's dead key is set right for the amp you choose.

Another decent line of class AB amplifiers is the bulletproof line which are here. Loading...

thanks for all the help, I'm likeing the bullet proof amps, the Bullet Proof 350 Watt, With SSB, Class AB1 to be exact,
I'm also looking at a fatboy but its a class c amp and theres no ssb switch,
any advice as to which one to get??

thanks

If you're going to use ssb, you need an AB biased amp, or B bias at a minimum. Class C is really only meant for FM, but you can get away with using it on AM, although I don't recommend it. Most CB forums will tell you to just use the class C amp on SSB which is terrible advice. They will say something like "custom built is better" which is not a technical explanation that proves their position. If you dont' want to interfere with other radio services and you care about how your station sounds on the air use a reasonably well designed, biased amplifier (we're talking about CB amps, so take that with a grain of salt).

Also use a low pass filter after the amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.